Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop Growers in Southern California

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #21
Devils_Chariot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in Canoga Park. I have had good success with Glacier and Crystle (grows like a maniac!). Centennial, Cascade did ok their first year so far. Nothing but vines from the Climax, and Northern Brewer barely grew a foot, though it did make hop cones. tiny tiny hop cones.

This year I am adding new Centennials, CTZ, and Chinook.

Since I'll never know the alpha acids on these home grown hop I am trying to cultivate for zero minute additions and dry hopping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #22
XYeastInfectionX
Recipes 

I tried brewers gold and willamette last year in Escondido with the same results as you. I think I started late hopefully this year will yield. They are already starting to send some chutes up and this year they are way fatter. I'm going to start watering regularly. Good luck

Old 02-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
Hop_Hero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I live in Fallbrook and check my plots and my fuggle has three shoots and my cascade 2. I thought my cascade was dead but i guess not. My shoots are the whitish nubs though. Is that right?

Primary: Belgian Wit
Secondary: Nada
Bottled: Arrogant Butthole, Arrogant Butthole on Oak and Chinook, Rebel Red (West Coast Red)
Next: Barley Wine

Old 03-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
cram
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

delete

Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #25
Hop_Hero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Two of the four rhizomes i got from cram broke ground over the last two days! I will post a picture tomorrow

Bottled: Arrogant Butthole, Arrogant Butthole on Oak and Chinook, Rebel Red (West Coast Red)

Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #26
cram
Recipes 

Good to hear some of the 'zomes have taken off, Hop Hero! I'm sure the rest aren't too far behind. Don't forget to feed them--they love nitrogen, especially, through May and June.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #27
Hop_Hero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I usually feed them the miracle grow feeder. What do you recommend using?

image-3475368659.jpg

There is one. Another sprouted today also

Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #28
cram
Recipes 

Miracle Grow will work fine and there's a lot of opinions on what types of inputs to use. Part of it depends on whether or not your hops are in containers or in the ground. Either way, I prefer more natural sources like organic fertilizers, backyard compost, chicken manure, fish/kelp emulsion, etc. But I am not doing this commercially and looking for maximum yields.

I think most of the commercial growers use synthetic ferts because hops are super hungry plants and it becomes more cost effective (at least, in the short term). My problem with the synthetics is that they tend to work like "plant crack" in that the plants start to deplete it quickly and depend on more to sustain. Plus, it changes the micro/macro flora and fauna of the soil and may raise levels of salts. Not to mention, I am ingesting the hops through my beer so I like the peace of mind that using natural sources gives me. That said, I have tortoises and chickens and a decent sized compost set-up, so I tend to have inputs available.

When they start to set flowers/hops, it becomes a little more tricky to source higher P and K sources from my yard, so then I sometimes use store bought sources of high bloom nutrients...

Whatever you decide to use, less is more, meaning lower concentrations at higher frequency will work better than a large dose of inputs once or twice through the grow season. The fertilize weakly/weekly mantra is good one. And be careful with steer/chicken manure because it can definitely burn plants and add too much salt to the soil if you over do it. Given a choice, I prefer chicken manure for nitrogen-loving plants.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #29
Hop_Hero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds good. I have two chickens and a good compost going. The compost is mostly grass, chicken manure, leaves and spent brewing products.

So do you recommend putting a small layer of compose over the ground or making a compost tea?

I have also heard diluting urine at about 10 parts water to 1 urine provides a lot of nutrients

Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #30
cram
Recipes 

Directly applying compost or compost tea are both good. Plants will be able to use the nutrients in tea more quickly but they will also deplete them more rapidly than compost applied on top. I usually don't go through the trouble of making tea since you're effectively making tea each time you water through the layer of compost. As for chicken manure, let it compost for a couple months before adding it to the plants just to avoid the risk of it being too "hot" for your young plants. Or if it's not aged well, this might be an argument to make the tea.

Urine works, especially for nitrogen. I keep a five-gallon bucket in the backyard for that purpose, especially for ornamental plants but the hops get some early in the season, too. Pee in the bucket, fill the rest with water, and you've likely passed the 1:10 ratio...can't beat the price...plus, it helps justify not going in the house to take a leak.

Quick Reply