Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop Farm San Diego

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
cray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hop Farm San Diego

I'm starting a small scale hop farm this year in north county San Diego I’ve grown 6 varieties with great success the last 2 years and making the jump to a larger scale this year with 400 plants and eventually 5000. I will offer 10 varieties: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Glacier, Hallertau, Horizon, Magnum, Nugget, Willamette. All will be sold as whole hops in vacuum sealed Mylar bags in 2 ounce and 1 pound size. Price will be $1.50/ounce and $18.00/pound. Just PM me for additional info, web site coming soon!

Steadfast Farms

Old 03-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
sd6104
Recipes 

How is your growing going. I live in La mesa and would love to stop by and see your set up, if possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another La Mesa homebrewer! Good to see people are brewing and growing in my area!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
sd6104
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrodH View Post
Another La Mesa homebrewer! Good to see people are brewing and growing in my area!
Do you grow hops? I'm interested in trying and would like to see how someone has done it. I have to order rhizomes soon, so I need to do some homework.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
cray
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd6104

Do you grow hops? I'm interested in trying and would like to see how someone has done it. I have to order rhizomes soon, so I need to do some homework.
Yes I grow my own hops. I'm currently waiting on my own rhizomes to come in for the new hop yard, I have 6 plants currently that I transplanted to a new area but at this point there's not much to show?
This is an all around great guide
http://www.crannogales.com/HopsManual.pdf
Also go on you tube and search "hops tv" there are 8 episodes that walk you through a commercial hop yard and there processes. Hope this helps

Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd6104 View Post
Yep, have 2 plants going on their 3rd and 4th years. (Cascade and Tetanger) Just gave away my huge Northern Brewer crown to a guy on craigslist on some farm. This forum is usually pretty good on questions and the above mentioned links work as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd6104 View Post
How is your growing going. I live in La mesa and would love to stop by and see your set up, if possible.
Didnt realize we had so many from La Mesa around here I'm growing Willaimette (first year) and a Cascade (first year) Also Have a centennial, Brewers Gold and Cascade that are second year. The Second year hops didnt do well at all last year, I'm hoping my new afternoon shade setup will keep the roots cooler and make for better growing conditions this year.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT View Post
Didnt realize we had so many from La Mesa around here I'm growing Willaimette (first year) and a Cascade (first year) Also Have a centennial, Brewers Gold and Cascade that are second year. The Second year hops didnt do well at all last year, I'm hoping my new afternoon shade setup will keep the roots cooler and make for better growing conditions this year.
Riverside here. I'm ready to plant some Centennial, cascade, and Columbus, as soon as this darn rain stops.I live on 1/2 acre, have excellent soil, and get plenty of sun. From what I have read those varieties like lots of sun. i see you mentioned shade. Do you think too much sun is a problem here ??

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen

Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #9
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

[QUOTE=Toecutter;2770222]Riverside here. I'm ready to plant some Centennial, cascade, and Columbus, as soon as this darn rain stops.I live on 1/2 acre, have excellent soil, and get plenty of sun. From what I have read those varieties like lots of sun. i see you mentioned shade. Do you think too much sun is a problem here ??[/QUOTE

Cray could probably answer this better since he has a successful farm, but from what I understand our climate is a little too hot/dry for the root system of the hops so its important to keep them somewhat protected from the hottest part of the day. There ios pretty limited info on hops growing in southern California but I'm gonna give this a shot and see what happens. Mine were in full sun last year and they did horrible.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm almost in La Mesa, I'm in College Area right on the edge at College/University.

I would be interested in buying local hops, are you growing them on your property in Valley Center?

Quick Reply