Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop Dry picture tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #81
dmbnpj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinison_fan View Post
You ever get any fiberglass fragments from those filters?
I was wondering the same thing in using the fiberglass house filter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #82
sunvalleylaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I just put mine one hop deep on a large window screen supported by overturned 5 gal paint buckets, in a room with humidity in the 20% range right now, with temps in the 80's during the day, put a room fan nearby, and left them for three days, stirring them around each day to move them around some. Seemed to work fine. I don't have a good scale right now so I can't even weigh them, but it seemed to work fine.

First try:
\

Second go:

Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #83
eriehopexperiment
Recipes 

Thanks for this useful information. I've got 52 first year plants to contend with next weekend and any ideas would help. If you are interested check out www.throughthehopbine.com

Old 09-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #84
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

So what happens if you wind up too wet? This is my second harvest and I picked my Centennials last week. I got 13 oz wet and they've been on a window screen over a box fan in the basement for the last week. I wound up with a little under 4 oz dry and that's around 30% of the original mass. I thought that was within reason and have already vac-packed and tossed in the freezer then of course started to research what they should have been.

I guess I'm a little surprised they only got down to 30% with a week over the air. I had them single layer and enough air movement to jostle them around with them blowing everywhere.

Am I screwed? I'm planning to pick my Cascades this weekend.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #85
The10mmKid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Spaceman, you need to take the humidity of your basement into account.
It may be as high as 70% . . . or more. Doesn't leave much dry air left to 'draw' the moisture out of the hops.

Maybe a dehumidifier before the fan may help.

I may be all wet if you have a conditioned finished basement.

'da Kid

Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #86
eriehopexperiment
Recipes 

I don't buy into the circa 16% weight (or whatever it is) after drying. It really depends on how much moisture is present in the green undried hops when they are picked. For instance, if you don't pick them until they are ready for picking (slight browning on tips, golden lupulin glands, etc.) they won't have as much moisture to begin with and therefore have less water weight to loose. I recently dried my hops which started off at 13# and ended up just shy of 5# (roughly 38% weight retention). I'm not sure if they could be any dryer! Remember that information found on these pages are only guidelines.

20130727_112443.jpg   1376510168697.jpg  

Old 09-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #87
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I would say about 10% of my hop matter was brown. Some of the cones were entirely brown. It's my 2nd year and I still don't have a good feel for when to harvest. Like you though, I'm not sure how they could've gotten drier. There were a fair amount of stray leaflets that had fallen apart from cones. A week on the fan should've been plenty but who knows.

To the other poster, my basement is finished although like every other basement I'm sure it's a little more humid down there. I don't have a meter so I don't know for sure where its at though. I've got my Cascades drying now. I had 1.7 lbs and they were piled up pretty good so I put the fan on medium. I checked on them today and the fan had blown them all out of the center. So they're definitely losing mass. I'm going to give them a couple more days before weighing.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #88
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriehopexperiment View Post
I recently dried my hops which started off at 13# and ended up just shy of 5# (roughly 38% weight retention). I'm not sure if they could be any dryer! Remember that information found on these pages are only guidelines.
Sure, there can be a bit of variance in the moisture content at harvest. I've seen anywhere from 72% up to 86%. As the cone ripens, its moisture content increases. As it goes past ripe, it doesn't drop that much, at least not until it goes into the garbage stage. This is a biological fact.

When you are dying down to 1/4 to 1/5 the original weight, its because you are trying to get that moisture content below 20%, preferably down to the 10% to 12% range. Why? First, so it won't oxidize/rot in storage. Second, so the moisture content is the same as commercial pellets thus allowing you to use them in you recipes without a lot of recalculating.

Let's assume you had dropped all the way to 73% moisture content at the time of harvest. To get those cones down to a 10% moisture content, they would need to weigh 3.9 lbs. At 4.95 lbs., you are right around 29% moisture content. Your shelf life is significantly reduced and your going to have to adjust your hop addition to account for that extra weight.

Do yourself a favor, pull out about 1/4 gallon (1 liter) of hops and weigh them on a balance that goes to at least 2 decimal points for grams. I predict it will weigh around 25 to 28 grams. Put that sample on a paper plate or a microwave safe dish and shove it in the microwave for a minute. Put it on the scale, let the moisture dissipate, watch the weight drop and then microwave it again. Repeat this process with the microwave running for 30 seconds until you see the weight drop and then start rising. At that point you hit 100% dry matter and its picking up moisture from the air. It will bottom out around 18 to 19 grams. With your Wet Weight at 26 grams, your Dry Weight at 18.5 grams...

Moisture Content = (Wet Weight - Dry Weight)/Wet Weight x 100%

Moisture Content = (26-18.5)/26 x 100% = 28.8%

With the volume you are growing, I have to assume that you are either an avid homebrewer that will need a long storage life or you are trying to start a commercial farm. At around 30%, even if you properly vacuum pack and freeze them, when you pull them out of the freezer, there will be freezer burn and possible oxidation. Most brewers will immediately reject them or at the very least be upset for having to redo their brewing calcs.

At the very least, take a few out and microwave them. Eventually, you will see how much dryer they can get. Rip them open and rub the strig against your lips and you can feel moisture. Around 5.8% or less, they will crumble to the touch. At 3%, the strig will even start to crumble. At 0%, they turn to dust if you look at them cross eyed.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #89
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
To the other poster, my basement is finished although like every other basement I'm sure it's a little more humid down there. I don't have a meter so I don't know for sure where its at though.
Like 10mm said, basements tend to be a little more humid. If you look at the drying isotherm for hops, there is a sharp turn around 70% relative humidity. That means a basement hovering around 65% to 75% RH (pretty typical) will take a long time to dry the hops. If you want to keep drying them down there, lock them in a room with a dehumidifier for a day and they will finish off in no time.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #90
eriehopexperiment
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice GVH_Dan. I'm planning a brew session this weekend so I will try your microwave trick to see how much further I can take them. They were practically floating off the screen with a low speed fan mounted 4 feet below but it's my first year so I don't have the experience to accurately make the final judgement call. I am interested in the microwave idea though. On one hand, it will make my wife happy for clearing freezer space if they shrink, but on the other, the smell of hops that will permeate through the house with the microwave might push her over the edge! Its a good thing that hops cause sleepiness!

Quick Reply