Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop bushes.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #11
OsbornBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My neighbor grows his horizontally on a split rail fence, he is no more then five feet high and our shared side looks like the outfield wall of Wrigley. I don't think height is the issue as much as letting the bines grow as long as possible. If your neighbor sprays round up on them they are done though. You don't NEED to ask permission but it would be prudent. I get Fuggles from mine so I don't hit em with the weed wacker, your neighbor doesn't sound so supportive.

Life's too short to drink diet beer.
Osborn Brewing, LLC
Friend us on Facebook
Monroe, OH

BREWS - Brewing alot, kegging alot, bottling more, updating less, check Facebook if you need to know for sure

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 04:23 AM   #12
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 224

if you only have a 10 foot length for them to climb, they'll reach the top and continue to grow until they get too heavy to support themselves. at this point, the weight of the excess growth will bend them down, but the growing tip will continue to try to grow upwards, wrap around itself and continue this cycle until it's harvest time. the only problem is that it creates a tangled mess at the top of the structure and is very hard to pick. an english researcher wrote a book which included an experiment where the researchers were trying to see what happens when you grow them on an angle. the conclusion was that 65 degrees from horizontal was the best for production. they also stated that different varieties performed better at different angles(long and involved explanation so i won't go into it). the whole idea is that they want to grow straight up but will grow at less than a 90 degree angle from horizontal with so varying degrees of success.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply