Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Homemade Insecticidal Soap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
Scooby_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Homemade Insecticidal Soap Recipe

It looks like I got some spider mites on my hop plants so I went to Home Depot to get some insecticidal soap. Well I spent $4.50 on 24 oz. spray bottle. And since I got seven plants, I was out of soap half-way through spraying, and then I had an idea to go online to find out if I can make this stuff myself. There it is:

1.5 tablespoons liquid soap
1 quart water

That's it. It's that simple. If I knew that, I would save myself a trip to HD and $4.50.
BTW, "Liquid soap" means any dish soap, i.e. Dawn or whatever you use to wash your dishes.

Homemade insecticidal soap recipe
Homemade insecticidal soap recipe
Insecticidal soap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
bnscherm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This mixture works good for leak detection of CO2 on kegs and regulators too. Just mix some up and in a spray bottle and use it for both purposes.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I made some of this, and also added a bunch of tomato plant leaves. I read that the leaves are mildly toxic and good to use in homemade bug spray. Seems to work alright. I've read tobacco soaked in water works well too because of the nicotine.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 07-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
chardo
Recipes 

You can soak cigarette butts in water add alittle soap. good for many things but is vary toxic for pets and small children!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
...BTW, "Liquid soap" means any dish soap, i.e. Dawn or whatever you use to wash your dishes.
Not exactly... Most dish "soaps" are actually detergents. I know a lot of people suggest using whatever liquid dishsoaps you have laying around... If you're using it simply as a wetting agent in an insecticidal formula it can work, but for an insecticidal soap, it's the fatty-acids in soap that is really effective on insects. Then there's the issue of what sort of residue might be left behind. I would suggest a natural soap such as Fels Naptha, Murphy, etc...

Last year I had a pretty major outbreak of spider mites after using Sevin on Japanese beetles. Got them under control by simply spraying the plants with a garden hose twice a day. This year I think I have a good population of spider mite destroyers that have moved in.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
southern brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i tried using dawn but i only sprayed a few leaves. all those leaves i sprayed turned brown and shriveled up. the rest of the plant that was not sprayed continued to thrive. i wouldn't use dawn.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Bum a couple ciggs and make tobacco tea in a spray bottle. As long as you aren't spraying tomatoes, it works well as an insecticide.

How to Make Your Own Insecticide - Associated Content

I'm breaking this habit and throwing away three dress shirts and two T-shirts this year.

Quick Reply