Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hermaphrodite Columbus 1st year

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Thanks ianw58! Here's another recent recipe: http://mountainroseblog.com/celebrat...-sweet-treats/

My Zeus are about 1/4 male this year. Out of the last 6 or so years, the only year that it was almost all female was very hot and dry. We had many days (close to a month) in the 90's and almost no rain. From a stress standpoint, it looks like a hot, dry growing season may be what this variety prefers as the years with more moderate temperatures tend to produce more male growth. Just an observation from NE Ohio.

Trying my hand at Hop Pies now:

hop-pie.jpg  

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #22
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 9

B: Those cones are HUGE! Gotta ask, what's the bear for? You're not making a pie with it, are ya?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #23
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, the Chinooks always do well no matter what the year has in store and this year they were beautiful. No way is Hoppy goin' in the pie. He's too old and it probably wouldn't come out, just likes hangin'!

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

Old 09-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
fattymattybrewing
Recipes 

Just to confirm, hermaphrodite hops have sterile seeds so correct, no need to pull them. Female hops with seeds are a result of stress ie: too much hot weather, not enough nutrients, not enough water etc.

08172010-z15_harvest_simpleearthhops-15.jpg  

Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #25
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattymattybrewing View Post
Just to confirm, hermaphrodite hops have sterile seeds so correct, no need to pull them. Female hops with seeds are a result of stress ie: too much hot weather, not enough nutrients, not enough water etc.
Yep, yep, and yep. Nice pic! Cheers!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #26
smashed4
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had some male flowers too on my second year Zeus..

Apparently Zeus is not genetically the same as Columbus, but I guess they really are closely related as it has the hermi tendency too..

Glad to know it is common with that variety and not just my growing conditions that are wrong.

I just ignored the male flowers.. did not even bother to pick them out.. I harvested a nice 5 gallon bucket full of cones yesterday and it is drying now.. The smell is pungent as hell..

Old 09-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #27
ChefRex
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1760 Times on 1099 Posts
Likes Given: 2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
Thanks ianw58! Here's another recent recipe: http://mountainroseblog.com/celebrat...-sweet-treats/

My Zeus are about 1/4 male this year. Out of the last 6 or so years, the only year that it was almost all female was very hot and dry. We had many days (close to a month) in the 90's and almost no rain. From a stress standpoint, it looks like a hot, dry growing season may be what this variety prefers as the years with more moderate temperatures tend to produce more male growth. Just an observation from NE Ohio.

Trying my hand at Hop Pies now:
Hop pie? Care to elaborate?

Old 09-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #28
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Old tradition that's been in the family for generations. All I can say is that pectin (not shown in the picture) is added to help dissolve the strig, otherwise the pie is completely inedible . . .

Quick Reply