Help please! Rhizome rot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
Just got a couple rhizomes to plant my first year. I opened the package today and had the two rhizomes in separate baggies. One was big and very robust and smelled, well plant like. The other was much smaller and the eyes were like jelly and would liquify if touched, the whole thing was slimy and smelled rotten. What to do? I cant imagine this thing living. Will they (Rebel Brewer) replace it or do I just try and get another. TIA.

Jellied rhizome eyes are rarely good ;)

Send them an email, describe both the good and bad rhizomes, and ask for a replacement...

Cheers!

Jellied rhizome eyes are rarely good ;)

Send them an email, describe both the good and bad rhizomes, and ask for a replacement...

Cheers!

+1. Or give em a call, remember they get their hops from someone else, lots of oportunity for bad storage and less than choice storage. Usually why I recommend someone like freshops.com, less hands touching them(and they gave me 2 more in my delivery than I ordered).

+1. Or give em a call, remember they get their hops from someone else, lots of oportunity for bad storage and less than choice storage. Usually why I recommend someone like freshops.com, less hands touching them(and they gave me 2 more in my delivery than I ordered).

+1, freshops is awesome.

This is a common occurrence with rhizomes in humid conditions such as the baggy. The odor your smelling has to do with humidity in the bag and any pre-emerging shoots. Some of the shoots will get soft in the bag and they are what you’re smelling. Don’t worry once you get them in the ground new buds will replace any damaged ones.

Back