The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Help me re-identify my hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
DeuceDeuce41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help me re-identify my hops?

I know that I planted Cascade Centennial and Chinook last year, but my labels got lost somewhere in the 6' of snow that flew and I can't remember what order I planted them in..

I can identify many plants, but hops I just can't find enough info on! So if anyone is growing these varieties, and one of these leaves looks familiar, let me know!

Thanks all!
JD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There are only I think 6 different shapes of leaves when it comes to hops. I could be wrong on the number, but they're all basically the same. The only real way to figure it out would be to taste them.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
scoots
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I think the first is centennial. I would have to go outside to be sure. I have cascade and centennial planted and I am amazed how small the leaves are compared to cascade.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
stevefarns
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm having the same issue and have both cascade and centennial planted right now. I know which are my cascade, don't know centennial, saaz and tettnang. I can post some pictures later but most of my plants are so small that the leaves are not fully developed yet. If you haven't figured it out by then, I'll post some pictures of mine that you could hopefully use to figure it out.

On draft: chinook blonde
On draft: vcca
Primary: Citra IPA
Aging: Westvleteren 12
Aging: JOAM
On Deck: Imperial Honey Porter
On Deck: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

Old 05-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
scoots
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Here are my cacades followed by my centennials. Cascades leaves are huge right now vs centennial. Cascades are almost 16'

cacade.jpg   cent.jpg  

Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

unfortunately cascade and chinook have very similar appearing cones- best way to tell them apart would be to boil a cone sample of each in water for the same amount of time then taste for bitterness (chinook is more bitter). Crystal should smell less citrus/pine like and has a different cone:
http://www.americanhopmuseum.org/varieties.htm
best of luck.

We who are about to Brew, salute you!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #7
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 211

left to right, i'd say centennial, chinook and cascade. the centennials usually have deeper cut lobes, the chinooks are much more 'blocky' than the cascades. the bines of my chinook are usually much thicker than either of the other two and they tend to grow off the pole(trellis) a lot more so than the others. also, once the cones mature, the bracts of the chinook usually flair out at the tips where as cascade and cents are more cupped inwards toward the strig.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:22 AM   #8
KevyWevy
Recipes 

left is centenial for sure. i can't speak to the others. if i have time i'll take some pictures of my cascade, centenial and chinooks.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:14 AM   #9
GC89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
left to right, i'd say centennial, chinook and cascade. the centennials usually have deeper cut lobes, the chinooks are much more 'blocky' than the cascades. the bines of my chinook are usually much thicker than either of the other two and they tend to grow off the pole(trellis) a lot more so than the others. also, once the cones mature, the bracts of the chinook usually flair out at the tips where as cascade and cents are more cupped inwards toward the strig.

+1 but Im less sure on the cascade and chinook, centennials definitely have narrower leaves

Black Harp Brewing

Quick Reply