Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Half Barrel Organic Hops........COMPLETE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4620 Times on 4308 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Endured a night of severe storm last night. Man was I edgy. But it was also good. A chance to storm test the drop line system and tweak it if there are wind related issues.

60 mph winds, and pea to walnut sized hail.

Everything survived intact. No repairs necessary. WhaHoo.

Of course the story may have been very sadly different had the "Hop Sails" been established.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
Okiebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah I was gonna ask how it turned out. Mine are planted out in claremore where my mom lives. I hope they're not flooded or torn up.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4620 Times on 4308 Posts
Likes Given: 56

One month update.

All but one (Cascade) has sprouted. The Garlic companions have sprouted too, all 78 bulbs. Anyone know how to reach Giada DeLeurentis?

I have a lot more stretch in the top wire than I expected and will be re-tensioning that this weekend. The unexpected stretch caused a fair amount of slack in the drop lines which in turn, allowed the drop lines to tear away a fair amount of leafy growth from the established bines.

This may have happened regardless of overhead line tension as we have had a few days of gusty winds, up to 60mph at the most extreme. But, had I been able to draw up the slack as I intended I think the damage would have been reduced.

Yesterday, I chose to very carefully dig the Cascade up to inspect. The oor system was healthy but, still bound up as a result of it's previous life in a container. I very carefully loosened the root ball up and replaced the crown into the soil making sure to get good soil contact with the root and keep the new rhisome growth at the surface to collect warmth.

The most noticeable thing about the soil was that it was still relatively cold although I did not take a temp reading. I would wager to guess that the soil was in the 50 to 60*F range and may have still been too cold for the Cascade to be comfy. Of course, we have also had a good bit of rain lately.

The Tradition and Goldings are approaching the 2.5 to 3 foot mark with a total of 6 bines on the Golding and 4 on the Tradition. All of the developing bines are approx. 1/4 to 3/8 in diameter in girth.

All other varieties (excluding the Cascade) have anywhere from 2 to 12 shoots that have poked through the mulch surface.

THE RACE IS ON!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 AM   #14
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

very nice update...any pics by chance? (I'm a visual learner )

I'm back!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1936 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer
One month update.

All but one (Cascade) has sprouted. The Garlic companions have sprouted too, all 78 bulbs. Anyone know how to reach Giada DeLeurentis?
Yeah, I wish!

Quick Reply