Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing in southern california

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #1
steven85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Growing in southern california

I just picked up and planted a few Tett, Hall, and Chinook rhizomes yesterday, and I'm trying to find out how often I should water them. After some internet research, I've read anywhere from watering them daily to watering them once a week. I think I need to water them more than usual because summer gets pretty hot here (95+). They will be in the shade in the afternoons, so hopefully it will be fine. Does anyone have any experience growing hops in southern California, or similar climates? How often and how much water is enough? Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

I'm in Riverside and planted Cascade, Centennial and Columbus about 3 weeks ago. They started popping up about a week ago. i am watering every other day right now. but summer may require twice a day when it gets hot. a drip system might work good for deep watering.

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen

Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
starrbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I am in North County San Diego and use a drip system. I have it set on an irrigation timer for 1 hour per day and I use 1 gal/hr drip heads. So every day they get 1 gal of water. This worked well last year (the first for my hops) and I only gave them a little more water in the afternoon one days that it was really hot. I also check soil moisture very unscientifically, stick my finger in the mound. If dry then I would give the extra water in the afternoon.

One thing to consider is mold/fungus. My timer is set to run in the morning to minimize wet soil at night. Which mold/fungus love wet-dark-warm enviroments. Just think of a lawn. If you water at night you get a mushroom field. So this in mind try to limit late day watering.

Good luck!

www.facebook.com/StarrBrewHomeBrew

Quick Reply