Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing hops in a whiskey barrel with casters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Rami
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Growing hops in a whiskey barrel with casters

I found a JD whiskey barrel at Lowes today, they had about 20 in stock, and decided to give a shot at growing centennial. I just planted 5 cascade rhizomes the other day in ground at a different location and wanted to try growing at my house in the city...hence the barrel.

My backyard is mostly concrete, so i threw some casters on there to get it around super easy. Two of the casters have wheel locks to keep it from rolling. We get those earthquakes out here ya know...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
60sd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

looks like you already got the dirt in the barrels... I did the same thing last year and the first time I tried to move the barrel, the casters broke (5 min after I filled the barrel with soil) For anyone thinking of doing this, it seems like a great idea, just spend the bucks for decent casters! Looks good!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
Rami
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sd View Post
looks like you already got the dirt in the barrels... I did the same thing last year and the first time I tried to move the barrel, the casters broke (5 min after I filled the barrel with soil) For anyone thinking of doing this, it seems like a great idea, just spend the bucks for decent casters! Looks good!

Yes. Good advice. The casters I used are rated at 125lb each. I made sure to get decent ones. They do sell cheap ones so make sure to buy the proper rating and to use washers with your bolts. This thing is heavy when everything adds up.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
BrothOfVigor
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wish i put casters on mine

If its not too late it'd be a good idea to drill some drainage holes in the bottom. Unsurprisingly these planters are pretty good at holding water!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
60sd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Good call on the drainage holes. I used a spade bit to drill several holes, then lined the barrel with weed blocker to prevent soil and roots from coming out the bottom. I probably have a total of 3 square feet of dirt in my backyard, so anything I grow has to be in a planter. The weed blocker over drainage holes has worked great and keeps my deck clean.

Quick Reply