Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing hops in VA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
hvrtaxi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Alexandria, VA. Chinook and Cascade in large pots. . Cascade did far better.

Last year I thought I lost them during summer vacation coinciding with a heat wave. So I cut them back in sadness. They came back and produced almost a pound by October!

Lesson learned: don't neglect watering but they can be hardy bastards with the long VA grow season.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
bierandbikes
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just ordered 2 each of Centennial, Galena, and Willamette. Seems like a decent mix and all seem pretty hardy. The soil is variable on my land but the area I'll use has clay and rock, with some sand. It is well drained and slightly acidic with the quartzite being so abundant. I can add plenty of compost and mulch. My main concerns are wind and deer. I am going to put them inside the garden fence, so that will help with one problem. Hopefully the deer don't eat my pumpkins (outside the fence)...need those for the Autumn brews.

Glad to hear that the hops are tough plants and our VA growing season lends itself to good crops.

Brew Pedaler Aleworks

Old 12-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
dhuggett
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I live in Roanoke and am considering starting a raised bed hop garden this year with Cascade and Columbus. I am planning to have lattice on the more shady side of the beds. Approximately how high can I expect the plants to reach?

Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #24
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuggett View Post
I live in Roanoke and am considering starting a raised bed hop garden this year with Cascade and Columbus. I am planning to have lattice on the more shady side of the beds. Approximately how high can I expect the plants to reach?
I'm in central VA and grew Cascade, Centennial, Saaz and Nugget for the first time this past season. I built two, 8' tall vertical trellises about 15' apart and then connected the trellises up top using twine for the bines to run even further. I had one bine over 15' long! I expect they will grow even faster this spring on the second year! Cascade did really well, as did Nugget. I had full sun for about 8 hours a day. I fertilized 3 times and my soil is loamy, deep and pH of about 7.0.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

dhuggett Likes This 
Old 12-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #25
kafkasbug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuggett View Post
I'm in the Tidewater area of Virginia. I erected a 4x4 post in the center of an 8x8 bed. The post is 16' long, and buried ~3' deep, so that gave me a height of ~13'. I ran 1 bine straight up the post on a hemp rope and 4 more bines planted near the corners of the square bed, about 5' from the center, giving the hop bines about a 14' run. All 5 plants reached the top of the post in the first season, and in their second year, got there quicker. I think the Cascade plants would have gone further than 16' if I had a post that tall.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #26
dhuggett
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I just planted two each of Cascade and Zeus (CTZ) in a raised bed with loamy rich organic soil. I live in Roanoke in the Blue Ridge mtns.

Hopin' for the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #27
mblanks2
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I like the sounds of this. I live in Lynch Station. Small community south of Lynchburg and east of Roanoke. I've been considering planting a few hops and will more than likely prepare my soil this year for a bed next year.
My neighbor is a horticulturist and I plan to utilize his expertise in preparing the soil for the best possible result. I'm considering Cascade, Centennial, and either Magnum or CTZ.
It is good to hear of favorable results in this area.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #28
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm in Norfolk and have 5 Cascade and 5 Nugget that are already pretty bushy. I haven't had time to trim them back. The only problem I have had over the past six years is whatever I put in the ground (all are in large pots) dies off after it gets to about 5 feet. I am assuming the ground is too sandy and a raised bed or hole filled with better soil would prob do the trick. go for it.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #29
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoob View Post
I'm in Norfolk and have 5 Cascade and 5 Nugget that are already pretty bushy. I haven't had time to trim them back. The only problem I have had over the past six years is whatever I put in the ground (all are in large pots) dies off after it gets to about 5 feet. I am assuming the ground is too sandy and a raised bed or hole filled with better soil would prob do the trick. go for it.
You really have to keep them watered well in the summer and in our hot Virginia summers the bines prefer afternoon shade so they don't scorch!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Quick Reply