Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing hops in southern california

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #21
Blackeydsloth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Nugget going slow but picking up pace a bit more in last 3 or 4 days.

"I think I'm still me, but how would you know"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
brewerelated
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Here are pictures of my Centennial hops. I bought the rhizome on eBay. The rhizome was planted late March.

I first put it in the ground, but it wasn't in a sunny enough location so I moved it to a pot. I then repotted it 2 days ago.

The plant has only one bine growing out of the dirt, but there are more bine/side arms growing out of both the first and second leaf node. I read on the internet that growth that comes out of the leaf nodes are sidearms.

There is only one bine sticking out of the dirt. I wonder if this is because I did not plant the rhizome deep enough.

img_20130601_134110.jpg   img_20130601_134209.jpg  

Old 06-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #23
cram
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here are some pictures from today, the first of June, in Socal. The hops in raised beds are off to an earlier start per usual (they were all cut back to ground in the first week of May). The ones in the ground are just starting to wake up.

For reference, the top of the poles in the closest row of the first picture are 20' above ground--the tallest bines are probably 13' and just starting to throw laterals, should hit the top and beyond by July.

I'm growing Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, Nugget, and Tettnanger. The ones pictured are mostly Cascade and Chinook.

dsc02222.jpg   dsc02234.jpg   dsc02239.jpg  

Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #24
brewerelated
Recipes 

@Cram
How tall did your hops get in their first year?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
cram
Recipes 

My trellises are between 15 and 20' and the Cascade, Chinook, and Centennial all reached the top (and some quite a bit beyond) their first year. I do have to water most every day, especially the pots, and I tend to add compost additions or organic 4-4-4 ferts at least once per month with the occasional watering of fish emulsion. I've harvested hops off all the C variety hops the first year. In fact, one of the Chinook pots pictured above are first-year rhizomes that I harvested off a crown and it doesn't look too much different from the established crowns.

The exception has been Tettnanger, which hasn't performed well. I'm stubbornly sticking with them, though, since my mom grew up near Tettnang and picked hops in the fields as a youngster--they're not well suited for my climate, though.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
brewerelated
Recipes 

Thank you for the information. My Centennial seems to be growing pretty slow. I think its less than 2 feet. I planted the rhizome in late March. It is currently growing in a pot. I think it is an 8 gallon pot. I don't water every day because the soil seems moist.

I was afraid of over-watering it and causing the rhizome to rot. Maybe I need to give it more water and/or more fertilizer.

You said you had some growing in pots? How big are your pots?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #27
cram
Recipes 

My pots are either wine half-barrels or 22-24" pots that I purchased from Costco. It's pretty hard to drown a hop plant in a pot if it's draining well. I drill extra holes in store bought pots to give me peace of mind that a root will not stop up the flow of water. Their water needs are less now than they will be in a month or so. Once they start sending laterals and reach 12-15' and beyond they take up a lot of water and nutrients. The Centennial plants in pots that were divided from a crown of mine are about 10-12' currently; whereas, the ones in the ground are about 1-2'.

Beyond soil volume and nutrients, the big thing is sunlight. There's a clear difference between the yield I have from plants with full sun, southerly exposure versus the ones that are partially shaded during the day. I think part of that is that we live in lower latitudes and have shorter summer days to begin with compared to those further north.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #28
brewerelated
Recipes 

The Centennial that you have in pots are doing better than the ones you have in the ground? Aren't hops suppose to do better in the ground? What do you think would account for the difference?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
cram
Recipes 

Well, the Centennial plants in pots are not necessarily doing better but they are certainly off to an earlier start.

Apples to apples, hops will do better in the ground if we're talking wide open spaces and comparable soil but there are a lot of other variables at work, too. In my case, my potted Centennials have greater sun exposure than the in-ground ones. But the biggest factor is the competition from nearby trees and shrubs. The root competition is a major limiting factor, which is why some folks shudder at the thought of companion plants with hops since the plants near hops also need water and nutrients, things that the hops could use. Some plants and trees have more of an impact than others it seems, and some release acids that make the environment less desirable for nearby plants like hops. Still, I think there's a huge difference planting something like cilantro (my favorite companion for early season) or marigolds (a aesthetic late-season choice) compared to the competition provided by 40 year-old nearby junipers and trees.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #30
NCSDhops
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

1st yr Cascades

Quick Reply