The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing hops in southern california

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
NCSDhops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Here's a shot that gives you an idea of whats going on "behind the scenes". This is a first year Cascade at 5 weeks. It has 3 bines, the longest being 18 inches. The root growth is already pretty impressive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Thanks for this thread! My plants are kind of slow starting too, and I was a little worried. I'm glad to see that most of us in California don't have 10 foot bines already.
I have 2nd year Santiam, (5 of them) and they look healthy and green, but they're still only about a foot tall. Last year they really shot up in July, so I'm not too worried. I'll post pics when I can.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #13
Blackeydsloth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I planted on 5/2, had a magnum doing good but died off a new sprout has emerged in its place though not sure if I'm doing something wrong this is my first time growing hops so all new to me. figured was just trying to get more roots with what I have read. Planted Centennial which hasn't sprouted as of yet. Magnum and Nugget my nugget sprout died off that was growing and a new one started well today I took a pic and there is another new sprout that popped out. Here is as of today my Nugget

"I think I'm still me, but how would you know"

Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
steloco
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In the first picture,
Towards the back are cascades. (1ft -2.5ft) They were the first out of the ground and about 10/25 got straight mowed over by rats. As you can see they are coming back strong anyways.
The ones that are considerably smaller and towards the back half of the truck are horizon. The horizon only sprouted up a few weeks ago and has recently started exploded. They are short and stalky but are shooting up bines everywhere. I have them in my truck so that I can move it to a more shaded area on a really hot day and so there mobile for when I start putting them in the ground.

In the second picture,
It is just another look at the same plants but in this pic you can see the centennial towards the very back (last two rows). These bines came out of the ground right after the cascades but then seemed to hit a wall with their growth. Actually a lot of the first shoots that came out started dieing and then new growth came up and now they are looking pretty good.

I need to get better pictures but right now its hard because of the different areas they are in currently. I have an area where I started them all that was fenced in, there is a 100 plants total with a few extras of each. All plants have started growing except for about 14 zeus. Zeus has been the hardest one to get to grow and then when it does finally come out of the ground it seems to have a little bit of a hard time before getting situated. So to say the least I am hoping to nurse the Zeus through this first year. I think it was just a plant that focused on its root system first because the bines that do come up are way thicker then any other of my variations. (Cascade(25), Centennial(25), Horizon(25), Zeus(25)).

This whole process from GLH crowns to actual plants has been a long road of getting the trellis and area ready for where these plants are going to be going and also maintaining the plants to make sure they are growing good. I just started last week giving some of the more established plants Humboldt nutrients which I have been very happy with in the past.

This is the thread for my personal grow op.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/firs...stions-400725/

img_20130520_192620_961.jpg   img_20130520_192643_762.jpg  

Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Tombraider2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Root system WOW, Now I know why mine are popping up all over in year 2. A dear hanger, great Idea. I have one not being used, should do that next year.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider2
A dear hanger, great Idea. I have one not being used, should do that next year.
You're the first to recognize it - or to say it anyway I got it at harbor freight actually - super cheap. I wondered if any of my neighbors behind me would recognize it for what it is and ask me if I've taken up hunting but no comments yet.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #17
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 512

Heres an update on my plants... Chinooks are starting to take off, especially one I recently transplanted, into a big pot. The chinook plants in the raised bed are starting to come back too.

chinook-big-pot.jpg   chinook-big-pot2.jpg   chinook-raised-bed-crown.jpg   chinook-raised-bed-propegated.jpg  

Old 05-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #18
jperry
Recipes 

Centennial (field grade) from GLH, lost its shoots, but they are starting to come back.

centennial-field-grade2.jpg   centennial-field-grade3.jpg  

Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #19
jperry
Recipes 

Cascade (field grade), has been doing well and is training itself up the trellis. Its around 4-5 ft long, at least.

cascade.jpg   cascade-1-4-22-sissal-rope.jpg   cascade-trellis.jpg  

Old 05-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #20
jperry
Recipes 

Top : Horizon (field grade), just transplanted.
Bottom : Chinook in a small pot, doing well.

horizon-field-grade.jpg   chinook-small-pot.jpg  

Quick Reply