Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing hops in southern california

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
steloco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Growing hops in southern california

Welcome everyone, especially those of you from California!
I wanted to start this thread so that those of us in California can specifically keep track of how other peoples plants are doing close by. It is nice checking out the 2013 etc threads to see how everyones plants are doing all over the world but I think it would be even more usefull to those of us that actually live in California so we can see how other peoples plants are doing with the same enviornment. We can all compare pictures, too see what strains are doing better specifically and which are not.
I have 25 Zeus, 25 Horizon, 25 Centennial, 25 Cascade and I will be posting pictures of these as they grow.
So lets compare pictures and notes to improve eachothers grow by learning from one anothers differences.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
NCSDhops
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

First year Willamette, taken a few weeks ago. Only in the ground 2 weeks at the time.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
brewerelated
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 33

@NCSD how tall is your plant right now? Got any new pictures? My hops are not doing as well as yours. I planted mine in late march and as of today it is as tall as the one you have pictured above.

I am growing a Centennial. I think I put it in an area where it wasn't getting enough sun, so I dug it back up and put it in a pot and moved it to where it is getting full sun now.

It also had some aphids on it so that didn't help either. I sprayed it with neem oil which is good for getting rid of aphids, but neem oil can sometimes cause your plants to overheat and get scorched so that also hurt my plant. The bottom 3 sets of leaves are now scorched and somewhat brown. With that said the plant is still growing, albeit slowly.

I am hoping that the slow growth is related to it trying to establish a better root system. I hope that it will soon start growing faster.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
brewerelated
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steloco View Post
Welcome everyone, especially those of you from California!
I wanted to start this thread so that those of us in California can specifically keep track of how other peoples plants are doing close by. It is nice checking out the 2013 etc threads to see how everyones plants are doing all over the world but I think it would be even more usefull to those of us that actually live in California so we can see how other peoples plants are doing with the same enviornment. We can all compare pictures, too see what strains are doing better specifically and which are not.
I have 25 Zeus, 25 Horizon, 25 Centennial, 25 Cascade and I will be posting pictures of these as they grow.
So lets compare pictures and notes to improve eachothers grow by learning from one anothers differences.
Do most of your plants have multiple bines at this point or would you say most of them do not. I have one plant and it only has one bine at this point. A second bine was forming, but it scorched by the sun on a very hot day, so now I only have one bine. No other bines have come up yet.

My plant has been in the ground since the end of March. Seems to be growing very slowly. Mine is a centennial. Perhaps I should have went with cascade or nugget. I heard those grow quickly and have high yields. I went with centennial because I like the flavor.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
NCSDhops
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Here is that same Willamette plant yesterday. In all fairness this plant was one of the standouts. It had a quick start but seems to be slowing a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about the first year green growth, the plants mostly focused on root growth. I definitely have a few plants that are still only 12 inches tall.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I have two different spots for hops. One in the ground, and the other, is a raised bed planter(6ftx2ftx2ft). My planter hops are sprouting faster than the ones in ground... Here are my Chinook plants. First plant is a crown from GLH, and my other 4 chinook, are propagated from that crown last year. The chinook plants, in the pots, seem to be doing better, so far.

img_0471.jpg   img_0472.jpg   img_0473.jpg   img_0475.jpg   img_0474.jpg  

Old 05-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
jperry
Recipes 

I have also added a few new varieties this year, which include Horizon, Cascade, and Centennial. Cascade is the Standout, growing to 2-3ft. already. Horizon has a bunch of shoots, that are very short and bunched up. Centennial was doing great, then all of a sudden the tips of the shoots started drying out and crumpling. The only bine left, was snapped at the base or chewed by a f'ing cutworm. I live close to SANTEE, and EL CAJON, but i'm located in the SAN CARLOS area.

img_0469.jpg   img_0470.jpg   img_0477.jpg  

Old 05-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
brewerelated
Recipes 

@jperry Your hops look pretty good. I am embarrassed to post pictures of mine. It does not look very good. I just hope that they survive and come up again next year. If it can make it through this current growing season plus the winter then I should be good. I expect the first year would be the most difficult year.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #9
jperry
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerelated View Post
@jperry Your hops look pretty good. I am embarrassed to post pictures of mine. It does not look very good. I just hope that they survive and come up again next year. If it can make it through this current growing season plus the winter then I should be good. I expect the first year would be the most difficult year.
Don't be embarrassed, most of my sprouts are less than a couple inches tall. I am seeing gigantic flowering plants all over the 2013 hop growing forum. I figured I would show how mine are doing, in the same zone. 2 of my oldest crowns haven't even sprouted yet. I seem to have better luck with my younger, potted plants for some reason.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #10
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Here are mine - need to measure them but the cascade is on the left and has to be approaching 3 feet. The shorter one is a centennial. These pics are about four days old. The cascade has three bines but the centennial only has two and one hasn't made it to the twine yet. These were planted mid April. First year. Were in the Tierra Santa neighborhood of San Diego.

image-1477564728.jpg   image-2377492572.jpg   image-779030283.jpg  

Quick Reply