New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Hops From Seed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #21
Beer-Baron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcorona View Post
I found a couple .25 in dia, 2.5 in twigs in a bag of leaf hops. I soaked them in water for 3 hours, dipped them in root hormones, and planted them in pots. SWMBO says no way they will grow, but what have I got to loose. If I see anything green I will let you know. If not I will just sheepishly slink away.
Bigcorona,

Did it grow?

-Fo

www.youtube.com/weirdbeer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #22
BrewingChemist
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Interested to find out if anyone has gotten this to work, and if so how the hops turned out? Im interested in getting some Amarillo hops growing and wonder if this might be a possible way?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
nschmidt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
About 16-17 years ago I had a volunteer come up in my compost pile. Must have been a seed from hops used in a late addition to have survived the boil (most likely an aroma addition). The second year, it showed that it was a female so I kept it against my better judgement. It's not a big producer but has a very unique aroma/flavor profile - 'heavy/thick' peach syrup. Now that I've had a chance to use Citra I see some similarities. Just keeping it around for sentimental reasons. All the other seedlings get uprooted by the end of the season - no time for that kinda stuff any more. Hop on y'all!
You wanna send me a clipping of the rhizome? I'd love to try it I'd send you the $5 for the rhizome and cover shipping if not that's cool I thought I'd ask.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanybell04 View Post
Interested to find out if anyone has gotten this to work, and if so how the hops turned out? Im interested in getting some Amarillo hops growing and wonder if this might be a possible way?
If you read the thread, they explain why this won't give you Amarillo hops, although you might get the hop plant to grow from the thread.

The bottom line is, the people who own proprietary strains like Simcoe and Amarillo sure as hell have a way to protect their property.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #25
BrewingChemist
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
If you read the thread, they explain why this won't give you Amarillo hops, although you might get the hop plant to grow from the thread.

The bottom line is, the people who own proprietary strains like Simcoe and Amarillo sure as hell have a way to protect their property.
I did read it! I've been scouring the internet to try and fin someone that had some success with it - even a offspring Amarillo plant is better than no Amarillo plant! It might have some of the flavors I like!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
About 16-17 years ago I had a volunteer come up in my compost pile. Must have been a seed from hops used in a late addition to have survived the boil (most likely an aroma addition). The second year, it showed that it was a female so I kept it against my better judgement. It's not a big producer but has a very unique aroma/flavor profile - 'heavy/thick' peach syrup. Now that I've had a chance to use Citra I see some similarities. Just keeping it around for sentimental reasons. All the other seedlings get uprooted by the end of the season - no time for that kinda stuff any more. Hop on y'all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nschmidt View Post
You wanna send me a clipping of the rhizome? I'd love to try it I'd send you the $5 for the rhizome and cover shipping if not that's cool I thought I'd ask.
Yeah i'd also like one of those if you have them.

I'd also take some random seeds if anyone has them. Just something to try and mess around with breeding
Kegged Vicious Hug DIPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #27
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-Baron View Post
Bigcorona,

Did it grow?
Sorry for the late, late reply. It did not grow. Absolutely no life left in those sticks.

Quick Reply