Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Hops From Seed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
TheBreweryUnderground
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Growing Hops From Seed?

While brewing a witte last year with some whole hops (tett) I noticed a fair amount of seeds, normally I use pellets so I'm not sure if this is normal. My main question is if the seeds are viable after processing and if anyone has tried growing from them. I realize you could get male and female plants, but it would be worth it for certain varieties that are difficult to get. I have a pound of whole Simcoe on the way and some plans to propagate if it's possible. Also I don't care about the legality so there's no use in discussing that.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 96

after the kilning of the hops, i doubt it's much use to try. although, i'm no expert .

Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - Porter
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 03-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
ASublimeDay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

People seem very down on seeds, but if you know what strain the seed is and how to tell the difference between the males and females (and pull those pesky males before they knock your girls up!), then I don't see why it would be a problem. Let us know how it goes!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 36

What would the legalities be? You have seeds and you are growing plants. People grow plants from seeds all the time. Shoot I let my garden go to seed last year. and harvested a bunch. I would give it a try. Planet the seeds in some paper cups with some good potting soil and place in a bright sunny place. water frequently and give it a shot. All they did to the hops is dry them slowly. it is not like they baked them at high temps. I would think they should be viable. That is how I got my garden going last year and will be dong the same thing here in the week or so.

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 03-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Snccoulter - the legalities are because Simcoe is a proprietary variety, meaning some company owns it until it is made public. Have you grown hops from seed? Also commercial growers heat the hops up a bit to dry quicker, but I'm not sure if these temperatures kill the seeds. It's not supposed to get above 140 degrees but I'm not certain what it would be like. These seeds would be coming from a pack of dried hops for brewing purposes, not really growing.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

ASunlimeDay - I'm not sure if it would be that much of a problem having male plants, they help the females produce larger cones with the downside of also getting seeds but these could be strained out. As long as they're not taking up too much garden space.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hey they sold him the seeds right. As long as he is not selling them who cares he bought them fare and square.
Cheers

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seeds are a crap shoot. Some strong, some weak. Cloning is pretty much guaranteeing good genes. If you do grow from seeds and get a strong plant, clone it.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreweryUnderground View Post
ASunlimeDay - I'm not sure if it would be that much of a problem having male plants, they help the females produce larger cones with the downside of also getting seeds but these could be strained out. As long as they're not taking up too much garden space.
i'm pretty sure that if the females go into seed then they quite producing lupulin and focus on seed production so that would drop the alpha acids way down and wouldn't give you much in the way of bitterness.
Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Even if the seeds are viable, which is questionable, the genetics will likely not be true to the mother plant. Hop yards aren't going to keep male plants near their harvest fields, so the pollen likely came from some other variety that may have hermied at some point during the season. If the plants did grow, and if they were female, you'll likely have some new genetic combination hop that may or may not be good for brewing. You really are not going to have any idea what you have, but if you want to spend a couple years growing a plant that may or may not be worth brewing with, knock yourself out. You might get lucky and have something good.

Growing seeds from a bag of Simcoe leaf hops is not going to give you Simcoe. The only way to get Simcoe would be from a rhizome, cutting or some other way of cloning. Unfortunately due to patents on the plant it's not possible to get Simcoe genetics unless you can climb a fence and run really fast.

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper
ThomasD Likes This 

Quick Reply

Newest Threads