Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Hops In SC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Cascade was the only one that made it, I guess I don't have a green thumb. Simple twine trellis worked well.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm just south of Charlotte NC (not too far from you guys) and I planted Cascades, Magnum, Willamette, Santiam and Centennial last year (the Centennial got planted pretty late so it didn't do much).

I managed over a lb wet of Cascades, it was quite an aggressive plant. The Magnum put out a few cones, as did the Santiam. The Willamette grew OK, but did not produce anything, and the Centennial didn't get planted until the heat of June and struggled for a bit, but then picked up later in the summer and threw out a couple cones.

I'm hoping for better results this year, since the plants have had a year to develop. If the soil by you is like the soil here, you are dealing with hard red clay which you must amend with compost or other soil amendments. You plants will only perform well if they have quality soil to live in and room to spread out their roots.

In the North, it's best for hops to get all day sun, but in the heat of the South I think they may do better with afternoon shade. At the minimum, I would keep the root area fairly heavily mulched and watered so that the roots stay cool. Compost works great as a mulch and will break down and feed the plants all year.

weirdbeerguy Likes This 
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
shotputman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey y'all I've planted Cascade, Centennial, and Columbus. Everything sprouted and grew, but the cascade by far have taken off. They are now probably 20 ft high and starting to bud. Gonna try and attached a picture

287795_10100571455241067_516689932_o.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
weirdbeerguy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm in Duncan, with 7 varieties, that are third year, four of which are producing comes. Chinook and cascade have produced each year while my centennial and williamette are putting out cones for the first time. I had great success last year with the chinook and cascade. Nothing on the Perle and goldings other than beautiful bines. I'm interested to hear how your bines are doing.

Quick Reply