Growing hops in heat (100+)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I searched and couldn't find anything on this so please excuse me if it already out there. Please point me in the right direction.

I want to give hop growing a try this coming spring, but wondering if my region is a good place to do so. I live in the central valley of California where the typical summer day is over 100 a lot of the time (peaks out at around 115) and very low humidity, usually around 10%. This usually starts in June and carry through August, sometimes September.

I read that the usual harvest time is in July, but I am wondering if my region may have an accelerated timeline because we will see 80 and 90 degree days in April and May before the real heat starts.

Anyways, I don't have acrage or really a whole lot of room, but if I placed the rhizomes along the back fence they would have a nice southern view and plenty of sun, but what about the heat? Does it matter the type of hop?

Well I searched and couldn't find anything on this so please excuse me if it already out there. Please point me in the right direction.

I want to give hop growing a try this coming spring, but wondering if my region is a good place to do so. I live in the central valley of California where the typical summer day is over 100 a lot of the time and very low humidity, usually around 10%. This usually starts in June and carry through August, sometimes September.

I read that the usual harvest time is in July, but I am wondering if my region may have an accelerated timeline because we will see 80 and 90 degree days in April and May before the real heat starts.

Anyways, I don't have acrage or really a whole lot of room, but if I placed the rhizomes along the back fence they would have a nice southern view and plenty of sun, but what about the heat? Does it matter the type of hop?

Hops like the very environment that you've descibed...hot and dry. I've had great success with Cascades in southern california (LA), they were doing just fine in 100F+ and bone dry conditions. My Chinooks and Yakima Magnums also did very well last season.

Just make sure to set up your soil properly, keep to a good watering schedule (drip is best...long duration with deep penetration), and make sure they get as much sun as possible and you should be good to go.

I live close by Fresno, on the Eastern side of the mountains, out in the desert, and grow hops successfully. I just shade them with a camoflage net (like the military uses) and they still get plenty of sun without getting all scorched up. Oh, and i water them every other night, all night, with a soaker hose on low. Its worked for my area, which is probably alot dryer than where your at.

Hops like the very environment that you've descibed...hot and dry. I've had great success with Cascades in southern california (LA), they were doing just fine in 100F+ and bone dry conditions. My Chinooks and Yakima Magnums also did very well last season.

Just make sure to set up your soil properly, keep to a good watering schedule (drip is best...long duration with deep penetration), and make sure they get as much sun as possible and you should be good to go.

That is great to hear. Those varieties are exactly what I was thinking of growing. I will just need to figure out the watering. I think I will need a really long hose connected to a soaker hose and battery operated timer connected to a faucet on the opposite side of the yard. Then to figure out what to use as a trellis for them to climb.

Hop flowering is triggered by declining day length, so you don't need to worry about that. Your harvest time will depend on the type of hop you plant. The earliest hops mature in July, the latest in early September.

Other than Sunbeam, the more heat & sunshine the better.

Hop flowering is triggered by declining day length, so you don't need to worry about that. Your harvest time will depend on the type of hop you plant. The earliest hops mature in July, the latest in early September.

Other than Sunbeam, the more heat & sunshine the better.

I am guessing that the Sunbeam is going to be a problem here and there is essentially 0 shade in my backyard. Should I try to difuse the sunlight a little bit like Super Drinker and the camo cover?

The side of the house would also be great, but it only gets about 2-3 of direct sunlight and is shaded from the house for the rest of the day, but I am guessing I want to maximize the sun exposure from the sounds of it.

Sunbeam is more of an ornamental than a brewing hop. The leaves are pale yellow. Any Saazer would be a better choice.

FWIW, Sacramento used to be covered in hop fields:

HOP FIELDS on Sacramento River bottom lands, finest in the world. :14

Our climate is pretty similar to yours and I plan on giving them a try this spring as well. Good luck!

Cool, thanks for the tid bit.

I find it ironic that I am brewing my own beer and possibly growing my own hops soon. I spent the first 18 years of life in hop capital of the US, Yakima, WA and never really knew what they were for at that time.

I grow hops in southwest Idaho. Not as hot as the Central Valley, but we top 100 for a few days every year. I think the key is providing enough water for the plants. I am able to water deeply once a week most of the season - twice a week in July and August. Watch for wilted leaves - that is a good indicator for me that the plants are not getting enough water.

I'm glad to know it can be done in the heat, I was thinking of trying this spring and was worried about the same thing, even though my climate is a little more mild than humann's it still get pretty hot, 100+

Well, that settles it, I'm going for it :rockin: I think I am going to switch the position though and take out some ugly shrubs against the house and have the hops climb up to the roof and water with a soak hose and battery operated timer.

What is the typical yield for a first year for each vine?

I am thinking of doing Cascade, Magnum, Centennial and Chinnook ( since I can't find them anywhere)

I didn't expect any but I got some. Not large at all but my battery operated timer broke on me and I didn't notice for a week. But because I knew i was moving soon, i had my hops planted in pots where they had no where to go for water. The bines died but new ones grew. Had i not accidently killed them off, they would have produced more then they did.

I use to live in Fresno. Grew up in Coalinga. Have a younger brother who still lives in Fresno (But he isn't a brewer).

Very interesting, i thought it would be too hot here to grow hops successfully. I am going to have to give this a try!
Anyone know where to get good rhizomes around here?

Back