New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Hops is a great idea if you dont want Aphids in your beer!!




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Wulfman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 248
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Growing Hops is a great idea if you dont want Aphids in your beer!!

Heres a link i read about bugs in foods, read the section about Aphids. Its reads "The FDA legally allows 2,500 aphids for every 10 grams of hops" WOW!!:


http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/grossest-bugs-you-dont-know-youre-eating



__________________
Wulfman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
JMass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Aren't there aphids on home-grown hops?



__________________
JMass is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Spartan1979's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 1,057
Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

We're going start needing an Alpha Aphids value with our hops.

__________________
Spartan1979 is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,948
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default

Whirlfloc should take care of them.

__________________
TyTanium is offline
csboehm Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
brewingmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: middle of nowhere
Posts: 1,807
Liked 156 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

At 2500 per 10 grams wouldn't that be more aphid than hop? The FDA also allows a certain level of fecal matter in and on food as well...better stop eating.

__________________
............Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer......~Homer
brewingmeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 279
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfman View Post
Heres a link i read about bugs in foods, read the section about Aphids. Its reads "The FDA legally allows 2,500 aphids for every 10 grams of hops" WOW!!:


http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/grossest-bugs-you-dont-know-youre-eating
An aphid is between 500μg and 1mg. That means you're getting 1.25g and 2.5g of aphid per 10g of hops. That is the live weight though and I'm assuming the 10g of hops is dried. So, if you assume an aphid is about 75% water (like most living animals) and is lowered to 10% water content which is about the water content of dried hops, you're looking at 4375mg to 8750mg per 10g so .... approximately 4% - 9% of your dried hops is probably bugs.

Gross.
__________________
uberg33k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cheezydemon3's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: louisville
Posts: 12,135
Liked 1347 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 2346

Default

Do aphids add bitterness?

Wait......

Weevils in the grain, aphids on the hops, you could make a 2 bugged brown IPA.

__________________
this IS texas! we kicj u in pit. die code monkey!!!!@


- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin
cheezydemon3 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
dbhokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lynchburg, Virginia
Posts: 407
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
An aphid is between 500μg and 1mg. That means you're getting 1.25g and 2.5g of aphid per 10g of hops. That is the live weight though and I'm assuming the 10g of hops is dried. So, if you assume an aphid is about 75% water (like most living animals) and is lowered to 10% water content which is about the water content of dried hops, you're looking at 4375mg to 8750mg per 10g so .... approximately 4% - 9% of your dried hops is probably bugs.

Gross.
I wouldn't say is probably, but could possibly be up to. You eat a lot of bugs every day whether homegrown or store-bought. Just not aware. You eat a lot of crap and too, and one of the best fertilizers out there is crap. It didn't hurt you to eat your food after you dropped it when you were a kid, and it generally isn't going to do a thing now either.
__________________
On Deck
Abbey Ale #2
Rye Imperial Pale Ale
Primary
20 Gallons of Apple Cider
Secondary
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter
Conditioning (Bottle)
---So Sad
dbhokie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 279
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhokie View Post
I wouldn't say is probably, but could possibly be up to. You eat a lot of bugs every day whether homegrown or store-bought. Just not aware. You eat a lot of crap and too, and one of the best fertilizers out there is crap. It didn't hurt you to eat your food after you dropped it when you were a kid, and it generally isn't going to do a thing now either.
Oh, I realize there are lots of bugs/poop that are permissible in food and we're consuming it all the time. It's just a bit gross to actually crunch the numbers and realize how much that actually is. Unfortunately, bugs and poop are not the grossest things you find in processed food.
__________________
uberg33k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Crito
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 519
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

better then pesticides in the hops.

Did u see the news on what is happening to people in places like china that throws hormones and pesticides in the veggies without xare to the final products.

Its a double edge sword.



__________________
Crito is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F#$% Growing hops, BREED HOPS! FishinDave07 Hops Growing 30 08-28-2012 06:12 PM
Aphids in harvested hops nickwin Hops Growing 9 09-25-2011 03:07 AM
Hops with Aphids NorthRiverS Hops Growing 6 07-26-2011 06:47 PM
Growing Hops and Grain for Beer Mygrain Hops Growing 17 08-17-2010 04:13 PM
Growing hops! Nightbiker Hops Growing 14 04-01-2009 03:37 PM