Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing hops!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Hops grow just about anywhere. The reason most US commercial hops are grown in the PNW is a combination of the amount of sunshine in June and July, plus very little rain in the summer. The lack of rain means fewer problems with mildews and rots.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 03:27 AM   #12
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, the 4 Mt Hood rhizomes came in the mail today, and were put into the planters tonight. Will take some pix and upload 'em tomorrow.
SWMBO -She Who Must Be Obeyed. Mine does not like beer, but without her permission slip, my brewing life would be pretty rough. She actually helped me put the hopyard together (grin) and she picks up odds and ends related to beer for me (I'm a lucky guy).
Just got notice that the remaining rhizomes (cascades (3) and williamette (2)) are on the way -should be here in a couple of days (woohoo! )
Down here in Florida we have an extended growing season (compared to most of the rest of the country) so I should be lucky enough to get a harvest this year, and a pretty good haul next year.

Someone up there said they ordered 9 types? Wow, you must have a hell of a yard (and a patient wife)!
I'm practically on pins and needles just thinking about the fresh hops....

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbiker View Post
Well, the 4 Mt Hood rhizomes came in the mail today, and were put into the planters tonight. Will take some pix and upload 'em tomorrow.
SWMBO -She Who Must Be Obeyed. Mine does not like beer, but without her permission slip, my brewing life would be pretty rough. She actually helped me put the hopyard together (grin) and she picks up odds and ends related to beer for me (I'm a lucky guy).
Just got notice that the remaining rhizomes (cascades (3) and williamette (2)) are on the way -should be here in a couple of days (woohoo! )
Down here in Florida we have an extended growing season (compared to most of the rest of the country) so I should be lucky enough to get a harvest this year, and a pretty good haul next year.

Someone up there said they ordered 9 types? Wow, you must have a hell of a yard (and a patient wife)!
I'm practically on pins and needles just thinking about the fresh hops....
Yea I have a little over 10 acres so I can plant a few and my wife got me to join the brewing club that I'm in she's a member too...Next thing you know I built a crazy brewing system...She's ALL RIGHT !
Pat

Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Got a question for those of you who already grow 'em. Does it matter what kind of twine or string I'm using for the plant to creep along on? Was thinking of using the same kind of rope I have on my 20' flag pole -its a cheap nylon line thats strong as hell (its weathered 4 years so far, on the pole). I can't think of any reason NOT to use it.

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think people use the hop twine because it gives the hops some "roughness" to attach to while climbing. The hops should be able to grow up it imo.

Quick Reply