Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Hop Rhizomes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
Blackmuse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Why wouldn't you just cut them back when you move... YOu have to cut them back each fall anyway, right? I don't know much about it as I've never grown any but having read a bit it would seem that when you move you just lose out on a year of hops. Big deal. The root should sprout again next year... right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
tomitillo26
Recipes 

Do you really need containers as large as 45 gallons?

Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitillo26 View Post
Yes, you cant really get too big of a container with hops.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 16

They act pretty much like an invasive species. I am currently renting my place and I planted them in some large planters from Costco which were pretty cheap. They look like 1/4 of a barrel but I believe they were ~12$ each. But here is a link to how I grew them in planters: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/my-s...duplex-409321/

Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
happyinsonoma
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

You can move 45 gallon pots with pipe, I see knuckle heads moving pot plants down the 101 all the time, 6ft tall and blowing in the wind. haha... Anyways, these plants love nitrogen early/middle of summer then bloom formula or phosphorus and potassium towards mid august. You need a short term and longer term source of each and if you really want to get into it, amend with compost in the fall and prepare area for spring planting then til in amendments in spring. These plants love to grow, love water, they are a dream to grow, you shouldn't have much trouble. I just got my rhizomes not too long ago from arrowlake or whoever I bought them from as sticks, just rhizomes, they are now 6" and growing, some are just breaking ground but all of the 10 or so varieties only 2 have not sprouted yet but I'm confident they will soon. Rhizomes are simple and dependable, you can count on plants sprouting by 3rd week of may most likely.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #16
happyinsonoma
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

You can sometimes ask nurseries for free larger pots, especially if they sell large trees, clean debris with soap, then with spray bleach in a tub or something. This will kill any problematic fungus' and bacteria. Then give it some aerated potting soil, maybe mix in some rice hulls instead of perlite, because perlite floats and causes soil to compress, rice hulls do not move. Much better. Much cheaper.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitillo26 View Post
Do you need them that large? No.

Will you benefit? Probably, especially if this is a multi-year project. More space = bigger root system = ability to support a greater number of larger bines = more cones.

The "very large" pot I'm growing in is something like 10 or 12 gallons, and it was fine for the first year -- my results, in terms of growth and harvest, were about par for course for a first-year plant. But now that I'm in the second year, I'm sure the space is gonna be an issue, and I'm not gonna get as many cones as I would if I were in the ground, or a monstrous 45-gallon pot. Heck, in order to compensate for the limited space, I'm only growing three bines instead of the usual six, so, that's cutting the harvest in half right there.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #18
themalman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I move hops that I had going for 5 years last spring and last year was the best year ever. 2# per plant dried. (cascade, centennials)

Quick Reply