Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing for home brewing - fruits, veggies, etc?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
RobWalker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Growing for home brewing - fruits, veggies, etc?

So, being a gardener by trade and getting a small fruit press soon, I'm quite interested in growing things to home brew with next year, as we've got plenty of space. This is not a topic about hops, but all ingredients in general, and I'm interested in almost any kind of home brewing - beer, wine, cider etc.

Sloes and Blackberries grow just behind my house (Sloe Gin and Blackberry Wine are both on this year,) and I've got plenty of access to fresh apples in the autumn.

Any ideas, suggestions? I'm open to anything exciting, and I'd love a recipe that I could get on relatively early in the year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
cram
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I start cilantro late winter and early spring as companions to my hop yard. The cilantro, when it goes to seed, attracts a ton of predatory wasps that keep pest problems down, and the plants don't compete with the hops much at all. Let them go to seed and you'll have a ton of coriander seed to spice up saisons and whatever else you like. Herbs in general might be a good choice since they're easy to grow and are nice to have in a pinch in the kitchen--oregano, lavender, and sage are fun to dry-hop or brew with...

I'm happy to have persimmons this time of the year, too.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
trimpy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I grow pie pumpkins for pumpkin porter and pale ale
I collect wild black/raspberries for mead
Growing apple and pear trees for cider/perry
I also used to have a mint problem that was used to make some schnapps

Blackberry cider has been my favorite though. 1-2lbs of fruit per gallon w/ EC-1118 does the trick.

Quick Reply