Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > growing in halfed wine barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Cram - thanks for the offer! I'll PM you soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
cram
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The bigger the pot, the better. You'll have to maintain the plants less with more volume of soil. Less watering, less input applications, less pruning crowns in subsequent seasons, etc., with the bigger pot.

Half wine barrels are nice and you can often source them on craigslist for $20-25. Those squarish, cedar or redwood nursery boxes that they grow palms in are ideal, again sometimes you can find deals if you poke around. But wood will eventually degrade, especially oak, so the best off-the-shelf option, imo, are the round, insulated, vinyl (I think) planters that you can get at Cost-Co in the spring for ~$20. They'll last a LONG time and are big enough to get your hops going.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Thanks again Cram

Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #14
1fast636
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 10

here is where i'm thinking about growing they get sun all day. i would string them up to the four thicker boards that are spaced dam perfect for hops. lol. what ya think high enough to make the hops happy.

area:

arrows are the ones they would get strung to the whit dots are the mounting points:

Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #15
cram
Recipes 

That deck looks like a great spot to string them up to. Getting your trellis set-upo is oftne the hardest part, so using existing structures makes things a lot easier. They'll likely go higher than that rail on your deck, though, so you might want to rig up some poles (where I live we can get 8' bamboo poles for about $2/piece) or some 2X4's from the ends. To save some money, I'd use two poles from each end and then string a horizontal line or cable between them, and then your upright lines to that. Good quality mason line will work as the horizontal line if you have just four plants, and you can use jute for the uprights. The jute will easily last the season and it decomposes, so come late fall, you can pitch it all into the compost or green waste.

I have some poles at 20' and several varieties will go past the top. With your deck, the hops offer some privacy and be a nice aesthetic if they get above the rail. Another option, you could put eyelets where you have your dots on the picture and then string some horizontal lines across and then hand-train the bines along the rail. Either way, you're stoked--harvesting will be a breeze.

Looking at your sketches from the earlier post, I would argue against pebbles/rocks at the bottom of the wine barrel (as you have in the drawing). The pebbles just waste space that could have more soil for roots, imo. It'll drain fine if you drill enough holes, so the pebbles won't do much except waste space. As for the lines, I think you'll be fine putting just two eyelets in each barrel. Then you can string a line across the barrel and then tie the vertical(s) going up from the horizontal line across the pot. That way, you'll have a little more flexibility where you put your veritcals lines depending on where the best bines come up from the rhizome.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
1fast636
Recipes 

sweet thanks cram now the hard part getting the wife to get on board with this. should be easy i think because of how cheap rhizomes are she is going to pass it as a go. cant wait going to be fun

Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #17
1fast636
Recipes 

ok might change from wine barrels to right into the ground. thinking about building foot and ahalf boxes that are 20 inches deep and burying so the roots focus down instead of out. do you think 1' 6'' is enough space or would 2' boxes be better

Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
cram
Recipes 

I think two foot would be better. Note that the rhizomes will spread horizontally and the tap roots will grow down, so you do want to give them some space to spread out. I like the idea of boxes, though, especially if there isn't a lot of competition nearby from mature trees and shrubs. One nice thing about raised square boxes is that harvesting rhizomes in years to come is super easy--just lift off the box and the crowns are all exposed and ready to be divided.

Good luck this season. And give some thought to your trellis design as that takes some thought, too, and you'll be surprised how fast those suckers leap from the ground come May/June.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
1fast636
Recipes 

One rhizome per box or two going to place my rhizome order soon so figured I would ask

Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
cram
Recipes 

In a box relatively small, say two foot or less, I would only plant one rhizome if they look healthy and fresh. It seems to me the only reason folks plant two per spot is as insurance against one not making it. Hop rhizomes tend to be hardy little DOB's, so if you trust the source and the 'zomes look fine then save your money and go one per box.

Quick Reply