The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Everything?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
Selfsufficient
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Growing Everything?

I have enough acreage to grow hops, barley, wheat and all the essentials for a family of four. What I'm curious about is how difficult is it to grow the essentials. I have read that hops are easy, however, since they are in the cannabis family, do they attract unwanted visitors? I have also read that to malt barley, it blows my mind to think about wetting it down, letting it sprout and all that. Is there anyone in here that grows all of it and makes it without a store?

PS. I have sourdough starter from 1865 just to let ya know I'm serious, just scared I guess.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would love to be able to grow my own barley. I have been joking with people lately that this year I'm growing hops and next year I'll put in my barley field. With a .25 acre lot I dont thinks that's gonna happen though

As for the "unwanted visitors" and the hops plants...I dont think there's anything to worry about. I've seen both plants growing and they dont look similar when growing. The cones are VERY similar in appearance, though. I'm guessing that's your concern, people thinking you're growing cannabis and coming to steal it? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 04-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
JAG410
Recipes 

The big problem with barley is harvesting. I haven't seen (nor have I look too hard) an easy way to harvest in an efficient manner.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1091 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I would go with hops and wheat....this keeps it simple. Buy your barley
Much of the stuff you probably already grow (etc. corn) you can use to brew with too

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
anderj

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

They have been harvesting barley for what, 4000 years now? There is a lot of good information concerning "growing beer" in the "Homebrewers Garden" the book is really geared for small scale scratch brewing. I think that you will be fine, a bit of diligence and you will make it.
-Ander

Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderj View Post
They have been harvesting barley for what, 4000 years now? There is a lot of good information concerning "growing beer" in the "Homebrewers Garden" the book is really geared for small scale scratch brewing. I think that you will be fine, a bit of diligence and you will make it.
-Ander
I just got that book and so far so good. To quote the author " one crop of barley on an average garden plot can produce the grain ingredients for up to 5 batches of all-grain beer, or thirty or more batches of extract or partial mash."
It sounds easy to grow.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
Selfsufficient
Recipes 

I just purchased 4 rhizomes to give it a shot. I have a second story deck with a flower bed below. It faces south so I'm going to run the string to the railing. Should be about 15 feet to the top of the railing and I figure it should make picking the cones easy. I'll keep ya posted throughout the summer.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post

As for the "unwanted visitors" and the hops plants...I dont think there's anything to worry about. I've seen both plants growing and they dont look similar when growing. The cones are VERY similar in appearance, though. I'm guessing that's your concern, people thinking you're growing cannabis and coming to steal it? I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Any pothead will know the difference. Other than bugs which can tend to be a problem, you shouldn't have to worry about unwanted visitors. Despite being from the same family, they DO NOT smell even remotely the same...oh and be careful if you have dogs, because hops are lethal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I just got that book and so far so good. To quote the author " one crop of barley on an average garden plot can produce the grain ingredients for up to 5 batches of all-grain beer, or thirty or more batches of extract or partial mash."
It sounds easy to grow.
This is quite comforting because im getting ready to try and grow barley but i don't know much about it. a completely "homegrown homebrew" is a really nice though. I will aim for that as the pinnacle of my homebrewing career.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Quote:
if you have dogs, because hops are lethal.
NO

If you brew much, growing and malting enough barley will take serious space and time.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-18-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

hops toxicity in dogs:
Hop Toxicity in Dogs
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/so-h...ld-pets-61575/