New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Greenhand Brewer... Green Thumb Hops Grower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
DouglassBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Greenhand Brewer... Green Thumb Hops Grower?

So I am only on my 4th brew, but I know this is going to be a long term love affair with the hobby. Just started some research on growing hops. I live in Southern California (Santa Monica to be specific). I love hefeweizens but we aren't exclusive. I have always loved gardening and my dad has a crazy green thumb. He isn't big on brewing (or alcohol in general) but totally supports the hobby. I figured this would be a chance to get the old man involved more than just saying, "good job hope your friends like it".

Anyway are there any hop gardeners in LA that have any local tips or suggestions for strains to grow? Or anyone in general have any strains they like or suggest. I'm still green to brewing so I don't have a strong nose for hops or have developed a love for a particular kind. But I want to get them in the ground.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

http://www.rootsimple.com/2009/04/hops-in-southern-california.html

I haven't grown any hops yet, been brewing for years. I love Cascade, This site says Cascade and Nugget are good for your location among others, hope this helps. And welcome to the club!

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
Retrofit
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The advice I give people is grow what you use. With 4 beers under your belt, I suggest looking at your favorite beers. Figure out their general recipe, the look at the reoccurring hops. I still think you should grow what you use. In your case, based on your favorite beers, you need to figure out what you might use. Something to dwell on...

Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
DrJerryrigger
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
The advice I give people is grow what you use. With 4 beers under your belt, I suggest looking at your favorite beers. Figure out their general recipe, the look at the reoccurring hops. I still think you should grow what you use. In your case, based on your favorite beers, you need to figure out what you might use. Something to dwell on...
This is good advice.

Due to your brewing experience level (I'm at a simpler point myself), I suggest you buy a little bit of many types of hops. Take them home, smell them, make long and short boil tea out of them, see what flavors you like most.
I would suggest you get one bittering type plant and two or three aroma.

making (C6H10O5)n- into C12H22O11 and then into C2H5OH, and then getting drunk

Quick Reply