Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Great Lakes Hops hop crowns 'lucky dog'

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Great Lakes Hops hop crowns 'lucky dog'

So I bought a crown of hops last week from Great Lakes hops and it was shipped out Monday.
I received it yesterday and find in the box to my surprise 2 crowns.
I ordered 1 crown of Willamette and the other had 2 markers, one said 'lucky dog' and the other is fuggle.
I am assuming that 'lucky dog' signifies that i am a lucky dog and that fuggle is the variety i received as a "thank you for purchasing our product"
Has anyone else purchased from them and is this common?

Also does anyone have experience with planting crowns?
Do they tend to be hardier than rhizomes?
Is there anything special i should do to care for them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 549

You are lucky for getting an extra. I don't know how common it is. The instructions that come with the plant are straight forward. Keep them out of direct sunlight for a week or two. I transplanted my crowns into pots, so that i could get the planting site ready. Make sure to plant them in enough soil, so the roots can grow really deep. don't over/under water them. don't fertilize right away. Other than that, they are pretty dang hardy. Also, most people build there trellis system before planting.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 266

i also received a "lucky dog" (newport) when i ordered back in spring.

heed the advice of not exposing them to direct sun too soon. i did, and it caused the plants to go into shock. they recovered, eventually, but it stunted their growth for a good month.

plant the crowns in a raised mound, if you can.it can be up to a foot high. yes, that means that the entire crown & soil plug that it came in will be above ground.

i don't know what the impact is of planting the crowns so late, and any specific concerns that comes along with their shortened growing season. i would contact GLH and ask them if you need to do anything special since they're going in so late in the growing season.

hoppy growing!

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
i also received a "lucky dog" (newport) when i ordered back in spring.

heed the advice of not exposing them to direct sun too soon. i did, and it caused the plants to go into shock. they recovered, eventually, but it stunted their growth for a good month.

plant the crowns in a raised mound, if you can.it can be up to a foot high. yes, that means that the entire crown & soil plug that it came in will be above ground.

i don't know what the impact is of planting the crowns so late, and any specific concerns that comes along with their shortened growing season. i would contact GLH and ask them if you need to do anything special since they're going in so late in the growing season.

hoppy growing!
They actually say that crowns planted in the fall do better than those planted in spring

Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I would use a good potting mix (yes, miracle grow potting soil). I had a crowns and 1 "field" grade hop plug. The plug that I planted in the soil but the mound was built with potting mix grew just as fast as the full crowns.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
FrugalEndeavorsFarm
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

First, the folks at Great Lakes are fantastic to deal with! What a stand up company. I placed a large (for me) order last year of 25 crowns and they threw in a few extra.

I did a late planting last year, 2nd week of September, and had an excellent yield this year. I put everything under individual covers I made of tyvek house wrap (already had it on hand). On overcast days I would uncover them and give the plants some exposure. FEF

Old 08-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
1fast4door
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 for GLH! I stopped by there one night last spring to pickup some of the past years trials they had for $10/ crown. The owner stayed well past closing time to chat about beer and growing hops. Really great guy. When I have more room, I'm heading there.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I'd plant them as soon as you can. Although they may not put up any shoots this late in the year, they will start building their extensive secondary root system.

The big plus of crowns is you can expect a good crop the first year.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

reviving an old thread.. i received the 3 i ordered plus an extra as well for this season.. i'm planning on giving that one away at my homebrew meeting since i don't have room for a 4th and it was the same style as one of the others anyways.. i hope to plant mine this weekend.. seems to be warm enough up here at night so i'm looking forward to brewing with some cheap hops!

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 03-14-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
Grippe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Another very satisfied customer - nothing but great things to say about GLH.

Na Zdraví! Více Pivo!

Quick Reply