Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Going to get into Growing my own.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubslover
Haha, will do. I'm going to have to look around the back yard and see what my best course of action will be. Most of my yard, minus the big veggie garden is in shade and some 20' tall contraption will be a pain to build and maintain. I think I may start one at each end of my privacy fence and train them to run up and down.

Spotted Dog, from what I've read, you don't need them 20' in the air to get results, just let the vine grow to a good length, no matter how you go about it.
Cubslover,
You know it!!! I'm going to start as easy as I can, if it works it works! If it doesn't I'll go fancy :-)

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubslover View Post
Spotted Dog, from what I've read, you don't need them 20' in the air to get results, just let the vine grow to a good length, no matter how you go about it.
Less than 20' is fine, but it will limit the production of your hops. The first two years that I grew hops, I was working with a 12' trellis. I then upgraded to what I have now. It's a 15' trellis, but I can adjust it higher or lower. Lower for harvesting, higher when my hops need extra room. Last year, I extended it to 20' for the entire grow season...the year before it was 15'.

Now...it could be the fact that my hops have a better root structure after the extra year...but I noticed that when I extended to 20', my hops produced about 25% more. Plus, they weren't as bushy because they didn't have to expand outward as much. This made it a lot easier to keep them seperated between different varieties.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I'm more into this just to say "Hey look I even grow my own hops :-)" and to use for maybe a batch or two ;-)

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Quick Reply