Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Galvanized water trough growing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
JetSmooth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Galvanized water trough growing?

Anyone do any galvanized water trough growing?

Last year, a friend and I placted six rhizomes in his back yard (he likens himself a one-acre farmer) on a whim. He changed churches and moved and we lost touch. The plants did very little and I wasn't stressing about it.

Last summer, we put a new deck on our townhouse and I am now wrapping up a paver patio that extends about three feet beyond the deck. As Ive been working in the yard, I see one corner that gets a decent amount of sun. The houses on either sides of us have bump-outs and under our deck is pretty well shaded. But that one corner gets an okay amount of sun, I think.

My friend's house was bought by our pastor's father-in-law and I suspect he hasn't done anything to the back yard yet. So our hops may still be there if they didn't whither away. I'd like to go rescue them!

I don't want to plant in the ground because the neighborhood association has a service that mows and sprays and stuff. I was thinking of putting half-barrels on the corner of the patio (or just on the ground right off the patio) to raise the hops and keep them out of the lawn.

Then I thought about a big galvanized steel water trough. I'd likely drill a few holes in the bottom, fill it with pea gravel left over from the patio project, then growing medium (soil/manure?)

When it came time for the bines to grow, I'd just put a few lines up to the beams of the deck.

I don't expect much out of them this year i fI do this. But it might get me ahead for next year.

Here's a decent trough at TSC - http://www.tractorsupply.com/oval-galvanized-stock-tank-2-ft-w-x-4-ft-l-x-2-ft-h-100-gal-capacity-2177201

I figure I could plant two at maximum, one at each end about 8 inches in.

Am I crazy? Any danger from the galvanized steel? I guess I would have to monitor the pH to keep zinc from leeching out.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Last edited by JetSmooth; 05-10-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: clarified title - added ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
kellanv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Many people plant in galvanized containers without issue. We eat beef raised from cattle that drink and eat directly out of galvanized containers. I wouldnt bother monitoring for zinc. You have the key points right as far as ensuring a high drainage with the pea gravel etc. Depending on the size of the container, 12" from the side would be a little better but not hugely important.

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply