Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Fresh/Wet Hop Storing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 880 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 1939

Default Fresh/Wet Hop Storing Question

Planned to have a picking and brewing party for some non-brewing friends, but time got away from me. We're leaving town and wouldn't be able brew for at least two weeks, maybe three. Hops (Cascades) don't look like they'll last that long, they look ready to pick now.

So my question is if I pick my hops today and store them in paper bags in a cool, dry spot, will they be good for two weeks? Or would I be better off putting them into freezer bags and freezing? Won't have time to dry them before I leave.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'd think your best bet would be to spread them out like your going to dry them on screens and just leave them there while your gone.

You cant really over dry hops as far as i know, atleast not with ambient temperatures. I wouldnt freeze them when wet still.

I'd be careful just sticking them in a bag, if you must do this put a fan blowing air around in the same room and maybe poke some holes all around the bag to let air get in to the buried ones.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1021 Times on 830 Posts

I agree with all of ^ that - except I'd be even more reticent to leave wet hops in anything that could hold moisture in place - even a well-holed paper bag - as you're nearly guaranteed to end up with a mildewy mess.

I think the best "unprepared and under duress" bet is to find the hottest room in the house and spread the hops out one cone deep on anything you have handy - newsprint, cardboard, whatever...

Cheers!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I froze about 1lb of nugget hops to be used for a freshop beer. They seem relatively stable in the freezer, judging by color, smell. Best bet would be to vacuum seal, but I don't own sealer. Alternatively, you can just spread your hops out on a surface. I have had good luck drying hops on a screens or 1/3" x 1/3# wire mesh stapled to a 2 x 4" frame. Let them dry for 24 hours and you should be good to go.

Goat Mountain Brewery (GMB)
A 10 Gal all-eletric nanobrewery nestled in the foothills of the cascades. My own slice of paradise.

Quick Reply