Freezing this week Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henrythe9th

Reaction score
its gona be cold again. here mid 20f should I put some Mulch down to protect my 2yr hops,, there only about a foot tall.. we don't have much of a growing season here maybe 4 to 5 months.
Thanks

They're predicting some freezing/frost in the next couple nights here, too. Except 6 out of 7 of mine are just rhizomes. Is there really anything we can do? Does putting some mulch on top help?

TB

well I'm going to find out, I have a large pill of composted grass clipping, I am going to put mulch up to the tops of the plants, I already lost a few inches to the deer and am not going to let this get hurt, 2 of my plants didn't even pop threw this year(ie dead)

All we can do is try. Only 2 out of my 6 new rhizomes have popped through the ground so far, too. I have a feeling this isn't going to be a great year to get some hops started if you're above the 47th parallel. We've been battling a slow and cold spring this year. How about over there?

I don't know if it will work with hops, but here in Northern Maine (46th parallel), when a light frost is coming on, we'll cover stuff that's sprouted with bed sheets.. if it's a heavier frost, we'd cover them with a bucket or a cut-off milk jug...

Another option would be to take some of those bamboo "hoops" (they look like an upside down "U", and some vinyl sheeting (contractor's plastic or shower curtains, etc) and make a sort of little greenhouse over them.

And I'm in the same boat hillhouse is in.. still too cold here to put the rhizomes in... but half our regular garden is about planted..

I also had to wait until just last week to put mine in. This year will be a battle.

I like your suggestions, though. I might try one or two of those methods.

Good luck, everyone! :mug:

TB

Back