New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Florida Hops experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #31
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 525 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Still waiting on the cold snaps to calm down a little bit. The plants look like overgrown octopi, reaching for anything their bines can climb. I'm keeping them potted for now sitting in my driveway. Still getting frosts and freezes predicted for the weekend so i'm lax to put them in the ground yet. I can't keep waiting though as i'm sure the plants are on the verge of being root bound in the pots. I'm going to give them one more week, then they're going into the ground the weekend of the 16th of March. Freeze or no freeze.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #32
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am thinking daylight time is a key factor in growth. My second year cascades are only 6 inches tall, no major growth. Bines are duper thick compared to last year

Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #33
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

From what I can tell when the plant sprouted had a lot to do with mine. The three plants sprouted at three different times. The centennial got off to an early start and at about two feet has stopped moving for the last month or so. The Willamette was the second to shoot out and and doing pretty decent, thin bines but four strong ones and is growing decently. My galena was the last one to move but when it did holy cow. It grows about 1-3in a day and each bine is the same thickness as four of the Willamette, it's a power house. The three plants were all in the same place getting the same sun and they all get the same fertilizer. I probably should have waited till end of January to let them break ground. I've read with an early movement plant that stalls, it may be best to cut it down and start over if its early enough in the season, but I'll just leave it be. Patience when gardening is key.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #34
Brewmech
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine are about 3ft high now. I think the cold snaps slowed them down a bit. Also I seem to be getting some brown spots on the leaves. I think they were too dry. I now water them with 2 gallons every morning and once a week throw in some fish emulsification. Mine are in pots, about 15 gallons ea. I need to drill some holes in the bottoms, right now I have holes about 2 inches from the bottom. There is a lattice and some twine for the bines to grow on.

I'll probably split a bag of black gold and fill the rest of the pots. I don't intend on planting these in the ground.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #35
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmech
I think the cold snaps slowed them down a bit.
I'm in the same boat, I'm hoping the cold snaps call it quits. Even my Galena which has been a beast growing like crazy seems to have stalled now. All three plants look healthy and green but I'm just not seeing the growth I had.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #36
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 525 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmech View Post
Mine are about 3ft high now. I think the cold snaps slowed them down a bit. Also I seem to be getting some brown spots on the leaves. I think they were too dry. I now water them with 2 gallons every morning and once a week throw in some fish emulsification. Mine are in pots, about 15 gallons ea. I need to drill some holes in the bottoms, right now I have holes about 2 inches from the bottom. There is a lattice and some twine for the bines to grow on.

I'll probably split a bag of black gold and fill the rest of the pots. I don't intend on planting these in the ground.
You'll be better off drilling out holes at the bottom of the pots. Hops don't like wet roots, so i'd avoid those self watering pots or any pots with dishes under them for this reason. They like a good watering followed by a few days of drying out.

I gave mine their first dose of jobe's all purpose organic fertilizer. Each pot got about a full rounded tablespoon sprinkled on the surface per container garden instruction. I've noticed some slight leaf yellowing on my plants on the older leaves, which usually means a lack of nitrogen. The rest of the plants look healthy and vigorous, and the growth has slowed down a lot.

I'm assuming the growth slowing down has everything to do with being root bound. I'm quite sure the plants have completely rooted all of the soil in the pot and the roots are probably coiling around in there. I'll have to cut the sides of the root mass when I transplant them to the soil this weekend. This will encourage them to begin rooting again.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #37
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict

Recipes 

Well I gave them a whole month to come back and no activity. I sliced the bines off all three of the plants on Saturday and already see new bines on all of them this morning. I'm going to up the fertilizer regime to once every three weeks vs the four I was doing before. I've also added a new drop line to them to keep the watering more consistent. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #38
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hey guys, just ordered 4 hop rhizomes (2 Cascade and 2 Cenntenial). I am located the nice hot city of Tampa, Florida and looking to join in on the hop growing party we have going on here! I am a little behind on getting started, but better late than never. I was going to do a trial run, do 2 in my aquaponic garden and 2 in a container garden.

From what I have read on here, you guys said no to over water. So I would assume I should not use my self watering system and just manually water.

When you guys use organic fertilizer, what do you guys use? All my plants are organic, but I don't really fertilize anything. The only thing I use is Liquid seaweed w/ chelated iron, other than that the plants receive all the nutrients they need from the fish poop.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #39
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict

Recipes 

Hey Chris, welcome to the fun. Where about a in Tampa are you located? I'm in south pasco. I can't say I'm an expert by any means as I'm still in the middle of learning myself but I can tell you what I've learned so far. I'm not so worried about watering my plants too much. I tried to keep them in the shade as much as possible but they are still receiving several hours of direct sun which to me means they new all the water they can get just to keep hydrated at all. I do have mine on the drip system, getting about a gallon of water a day per plant. I've had some trouble with them stalling out but I believe that had more to do with planting them early and the cold snap we had here throughout march. I've since trimmed them back down to the ground and they are already shooting up new bines. these things are resilient! Have fun, experiment and let us know what works/doesn't.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

ddubduder - I am in Town N Country area. Gallon of water a day!! Yikes I need to step it up. They received a ton of water the other day with those rains we had, but haven't given them anything since then.

The plants all sprouted and seem to be doing great! I am going to string them up today on a temp trellis (ladder). They are in containers now, but would eventually like to plant them into the ground. How does the general concensus grow them? Ground or Container?

Quick Reply