Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Florida Hops experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

We're getting a nice soaker up here in North FL. The hops are loving it, although after the front pushes through we're in line for getting another cold snap. Monday and Tuesday looks like our best chances for another frost. Back into the garage they will go. I'll post pictures tomorrow after they dry out a bit.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia
We're getting a nice soaker up here in North FL.
We got it pretty good in Tampa too. All three plants seemed to survive pretty well, now hopefully it doesn't get too cold this weekend. Of course I fertilized the plants yesterday so hopefully not too much of it ran off with the rain, what can you do, just part of life in FLA. At this point the Galena and Willamette seem to be growing the best. The Centennial was out of the gate the fastest but has slowed considerably compared to its brethren. The Galena is about 3.5 feet now and the Centennial is stalled at about 2. All three plants have four trained bines heading up the tomato cage. I'm hoping the work on my house will finish soon as the galena might out grow the cage in the next week or two.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
aiptasia
Recipes 

Well, you can check out the Tres Amigos below. This is two weeks of growth from planting in the pots. It's the perfect time to start them with a little 1/4 strength organic fertilizer or a tablespoon of coffee grounds and egg shells. You'll notice the two Chinook plants are a nice lush deep green and have shot more vertically than the fuggles, but the fuggles is nice, bushy and just a shade more yellow. If the yellow coloration is due to nitrogen or magnesium issues, the coffee grounds will ameliorate that.

20130214_111320.jpg   20130214_111329.jpg   20130214_111334.jpg   20130214_111342.jpg  

Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #24
Boris_the_Russian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia
Well, you can check out the Tres Amigos
Chinook on the far right has a startling resemblance to one Dusty Bottoms. I'm rooting for Dusty! First to the top of the twine and largest yield I bet.

Sí, muy buena. Muy hermoso. El lúpulo aspecto fuerte y vigoroso.
image-1016234802.jpg  

Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
aiptasia
Recipes 

The Fuggles is definitely Ned Nederlander. I seem to have a plethora of hops. Si El Guapo! Pepe, do you know what a Plethora means? No.... no El Guapo.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #26
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I moved my centennial from its current pot to a 20g pot today. Overall I think it went well but a few of the upper inches broke when trying to unwind from the tomato cage. The other two plants have been growing like crazy and this one just seemed to stall out. The centennial was the only one in a smaller pot, hopefully moving it will give it more room to grow, expand and become happy again. Fingers crossed. The Galena has officially reached the top of the 54in tomato cage and has started moving along the top wire. It's definitely time to figure out its next stage, via trellis or twine.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
aiptasia
Recipes 

Yep, the more root mass the plants have, the more green mass the plants can support. Transplanting it into a larger container will help it with continued root growth. I'm still about ten days away from planting mine in the ground. I'm definitely going to use lattice fencing and 4x4's to create a lean-to against the side of the house. Each lattice panel is 4' x 8' and I should be able to use six sections for three 8' x 8' trellises.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #28
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

image-775847954.jpg

Had to move to plan B for a longer term placement of the plants. The work on my house is taking way longer to finish (when doesn't it) than I expected so the twine to the rafters is out. I've unravelled a few bines per plant and draped them along the fence, I'm hoping I didn't do too much damage unwinding them. Fingers crossed this works. I'm a little worried about getting too much sun since there is no shade in my backyard but I think being so close to the fence should provide a little shade for the root system.
image-668747115.jpg  

Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
aiptasia
Recipes 

Yeah, i'd be worried about sun exposure, too. From what i've been following in the other south Florida threads, the hops flowers just fry in the heat of the full sun down here once the temps start climbing into the 90's and above. July and August could be brutal to our plants, so mine are going in an area next to the house with a southeast exposure where they'll get about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight a day, and then shaded out by our big old water oaks the rest of the day. I have a small satsuma tree that has a similar exposure and it's producing the best orange crop every fall. No need for full sun to burn the plants.

I'm going to wait one more week before getting them in the ground. I still have to nail the lattice fence to the 4'x4'x10' poles and secure them with a bracket in a lean-to position against the side of the house. The plants are looking like triffids, growing all over the place big bushy looking hops with long long runners. I'm sure they're all about four feet long by now and growing long. I'm surprised that the fuggles are keeping pace with the growth output from the chinook plants.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #30
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I was not prepared for how much these things can move on one night. Yesterday I unwound the top 12in from the tomato cage and strung it along the fence. This morning I go check on them and two of the bines had rewound up the cage. I'm not talking draped over the cage, fully wound up it, tight curls. It truly is amazing.

Quick Reply