Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Florida Hops experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #11
Boris_the_Russian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Last year, I became mesmurized by the sheer speed at which the bines grew. Awesome to watch! Gonna dry hop the sheet out of an IPA with my 2013 harvest. I have plans to improve this year from what I learned last year and the plants should benefit from it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #12
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris_the_Russian
I have plans to improve this year from what I learned last year and the plants should benefit from it.
Any advice for us first year growers? I'm always looking for any seasoned advice which will make my work a little easier/smarter.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Boris_the_Russian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Every plant is different, one thing that works for one may not be the same for another. Even though both crowns can be right next to each other.
I started out real methodical with watering and feeding schedules done ONLY on certain days or blah blah blah..... I soon relaized Florida sun is very un-forgiving. During the peak of summer, water! People say "becareful not to drown the plants, too much water is bad". Yes I agree but, the heat, the sun, BRUTAL! With a well drained pot/raised bed/ whatever your media, as long as the drainage is good, you gotta keep the ground MOIST. Not soaked but MOIST.
Once the bines break gound, I cover the entire top with a layer of mulch. The no float, natural brown chipped cypress organic kind Found at Hardware stores. No coloring and chemicals please. I'm big on the organics, especially if you plan to use them for consumption, just my thing yeah know. The mulch helps block sun from the black soil and the wood soaks up water leaving a layer of protection from direct exposure.
Above all remember, These plants are not acustom to this enviroment. Late July through August.....the girls may become heat scorched, covered in bugs, browning leaves with strange markings, holes, and broken lims and twine from tropical storms, hurricanes and birds. Just don't get discouarged. Stick with it, they will produce hops. They're very hardy. It may not be a huge amount at harvest but, You can say with great pride " I grew that and I brew that."
If I can help, i'd be happy to discuss whatever troubles you and the ladies. I'm no expert but, I've seen some $h!t.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Well, everything is looking good in the pots. I have one Chinook that is just starting to put out some green growth, and there are purple bines sprouting up from the other crowns. I'm also with Boris, in that the heat can be brutal. Once any danger of frost has passed up here in Jax, I plan on getting them into the sandy soil. The drainage is good, perhaps too good. The jungle growth potting soil mix seems to be a good mixture of organic compost, peat moss and perlite/vermiculite, so I may just stick with that and till it into the soil hills for each plant. Good tip on the mulch. I'll be sure to add a generous layer once the plants make it into the ground.

My planting location couldn't be more perfect. It's right next to the house and faces southeast. The plants get about 4-5 hours of direct morning sun and then are shaded out by our old live oaks during the afternoon. I have some 3/4" inch 4x8 foot sections of lattice fence and some old 4x4x10 posts to nail it to, so I should be able to nail together a nice hop wall structure to trellis the hops on.

My biggest concern is bugs. They're just voracious up here. We have monster black grasshoppers and all manner of crawling, flying, hopping and wiggling plant munchers.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #15
Boris_the_Russian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah... Insects are a pain in the arse! Had a bout with spider mites last year that nearly had me leaning toward nuclear destruction but, I held out. Turned one of my Cascade plants into a multi level high-rise insect beachside retirement condo. Living in a tropical climate, bugs are to be expected.
What to do? I used an all natural, easy on the trees, chemical free approach that seemed to work well enough. (Since I plan to eat it)
3Tbls hot pepper sauce
1tsp liquid dish detergent
1cup vegetable oil
Shake well to combine and emulsify. Add 1quart of water and use in a spray bottle every 10 days or so. Stay up wind, don't breathe it in. Try not to touch your face and wash your hands.
It works well for mites and aphids. Kills on contact. Once the buds start to show and flowers begin to form.... Stop! You don't want this getting in your brew. Time to ride it out.
Try it out, see how it does against the g-hoppas. If not there is allways "Organocide" found at the local home improvement warehouse.
Welcome to the war, front line will be your backyard and you are the commander and chief. Godspeed

image-3569949122.jpg  

Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #16
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3025 Times on 1908 Posts
Likes Given: 2564

My neighbor uses neem oil on vegetables. It's all natural.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I know a lot of people on HBT have said they use Orange Guard. My plan is to try and mix sprays with a couple Marigolds planted around them as decoys for the bugs. I know you will only have so much luck with both of them but the fight must go on.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

My crowns came in from Great Lakes Hops late last week. I ordered two Chinook crowns and they sent me another crown of fuggles for free. I've decided to start them in 15" pots and then transfer them to the ground in March once the dangers of frosts have passed. I used Jungle Growth potting mix, which is a good ratio of 1/3 organic compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 perlite/vermiculite. Here's how they're doing at one week from planting. Notice how the fuggles rhizomes are sprouting up in completely different areas of the pot from the main crown.

dsc_0158.jpg   dsc_0160.jpg   dsc_0161.jpg  

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

After about two weeks I was able to see the strong bines and cut the rest back leaving 4 in each of mine. They are growing crazy fast. It's become my morning routine to check see how much they change over night, I can't believe just how much they do sometimes. I need to post some new pics. I still haven't set up my twine system due to a few issues out of my control so to help support them I grabbed a few 54in tomato cages. The centennial already has all four bones about a foot up the cage and one is about 2ft up.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Galena
image-2660891093.jpg

Centennial