Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Florida first year hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #21
cram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Per the side arm growth, either way is fine. one thing I've noticed, though, it if you train some of the lower laterals they will tend to climb and get longer than they would otherwise, which means more hops. At the node, where the laterals come out on each side, often there will be one side that is longer and stronger looking. Give that one a few twists around the string and see if it takes off. For me, the lowest laterals, usually ones that you can reach from the ground are the best candidates to climb. Try it on one or a couple and let the others do their own thing and you can compare results.

Glad to hear the fertilizer is working out! You added it at a good time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #22
Thejiro
Recipes 

Thanks for the info yea I'm super excited I'm getting such good growth on the sidearms I wasn't expecting as good of growth as I got here in Florida with the conditions as they are

Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #23
Thejiro
Recipes 

Here is the first harvest from my first year cascades. A small amount but there will be quite a bit more coming around September as my sidearms are going wild.

On a seperate note I have a few industrious rhizomes shooting out some new sprouts.

I can't cease to be amazed at the ability of the hop plant to adapt to unfavorable conditions and still thrive!!!!

forumrunner_20110726_153720.jpg   forumrunner_20110726_153728.jpg  

Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #24
AnthonyC
Random Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So how do you keep squirrels from destroying your bines? Or do they just not like the taste of Cascade as much as Willamette? Maybe I need to try Cascade next year.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #25
Thejiro
Recipes 

To tell you the truth I didn't do anything in particular to stop the squirrels. When my shoots were first coking up I saw some evidence ofthem digging in the planter that I have but it wasn't near the rhizomes I planted

Old 07-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #26
Razdale
Recipes 

The last time I was out in the Yakima valley (3 yrs ago) I stopped by the old house I grew up in and grabbed some cluster rhizomes. My dad brewed with them when I was a kid. Hearts brew shop told me they'd never make it in Orlando but I popped them into 6" raised beds bordering a garden archway and I've watched them grow stronger every year since. I've read that raised beds heat up earlier in the spring and stay cooler in the winter so maybe that helps with possible dormancy issues. They also drain very well. The hops I have this year are just as big, bushy and loaded with cones as any year I remember the mother plant back in Washington experiencing.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #27
Thejiro
Recipes 

Here is a photo update of my cascades. The side arms are growing like crazy

forumrunner_20110818_214232.jpg   forumrunner_20110818_214221.jpg   forumrunner_20110818_214424.jpg   forumrunner_20110818_214435.jpg  

Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #28
aquajon1
Recipes 

awesome looking vines.... looking at the pics has me wanting and planing on growing some cascade this spring... how did any of your beers turn out that you used the hops in?

Bottled Blonde ale...4 left
Single hop "citra" in the keg and drinking
Sierra Nevada kegged
and I forgot whats in the last keg, but its about gone
Chinook ipa in the primary

Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #29
Thejiro
Recipes 

I got minimal production due to a few mistakes i made but i made an ipa with them that i used the fresh hops as a late addition that came out really good. This year im hoping to get better production and to make a 100% fresh hop ale

Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #30
Jagdad
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A tidbit of info on premature flowering on hops in southern latitudes -
Hop plants shift from vegetative growth to flowering in response to 14 hour (or longer) exposure to light. In places like Africa, New Zealand, and India with relatively long days (compared to Northern growers); the growers trick the plants into staying vegetative longer by interrupting the night with about 3 hours of exposure to incandescent light bulbs. This creates a fake "short day". This tricks the plant into staying vegetative until the plants are mature enough. Then they stop the night lighting and Voila!- they set cones! A simple 100 watt bulb on a timer does the trick.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS