Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Florida first year hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
cram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on Gridlocked's point. I wouldn't cut off flowers of first year plants either.

I just harvested 13 oz. from three, first-year Chinook rhizomes, and signs are pointing to an even heavier second harvest on these first-year plants. Reading "One Straw Revolution" definitely changed my gardening philosophy...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
Thejiro
Recipes 

Man now I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'm gonna ride it out and see how much production I'm going to get. One of my bines is finally shooting out side arms

Old 07-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
Thejiro
Recipes 

So I just realized I didn't put enough soil in my planter. What should I do? Should I leave it till next year when I replant IR should if try to fix it now. I'm planning on adding fertilizer tomorrow after I go to the organic gardening shop around the corner from my house.

TIA for any input

Old 07-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
cram
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should be able to add soil now without ill effects. Regarding fertilizer, I have found that using less fertilizer but more applications is better than adding a lot.
Liquid fertilizers allow for quicker uptake. Compared to synthetic ones, organic fertilizers help maintain soil health, in my opinion.

And if you plant to grow year-after-year, consider starting a compost pile if you have the space.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Thejiro
Recipes 

What is the best way to add soil to the planter? By trilingual the leaves on the bines up to where I want to add soil?

Old 07-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
Thejiro
Recipes 

Well I'm having a slight problem here its been raining all the time here. Pretty much every day. I'm concerned that all this rain is over watering my hops I have plenty of drain holes and I just recently added a 4-4-5 organic fertilizer to the soil aswell as about 4" of soil on top of what I had BC there wasn't enough in my planter?? Anyone have sugestions about what I should do?

Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
AnthonyC
Random Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I tried some rhizomes (Mt. Hood and Williamette) for the first time this year. I was wondering how they would do once the rainy season arrived. Unfortunately squirrels made sure I didn't have to worry about that for very long. They dessimated all of mine as soon as they were knee high or so.

Wish I could give you some advice on the rain. We're getting crushed right now and looks like it will last a good part of the weekend.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
_JP_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My advice: sit back and let them do their thing.

Hops have been around a long time and grow in the wild just fine without any human intervention. If given space, water, and ample light, they grow like weeds.

We got a few inches of rain over a couple days a week or 2 ago, thunderstorm after thunderstorm. In my heavy clay soil, the hops were fine.

I wouldn't worry about them being in pots the first year since the main goal here is not harvest, but getting the plant established. I would plan on planting in the ground next year. Remember their roots spread so much that they need to be pruned every few years. Give them room and some sunlight and have a homebrew.

Working on:
summer gardening

Upcoming projects:
NG line for outdoor burner

Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #19
Thejiro
Recipes 

Thanks for the input. I was looking into transplanting them to 55g wooden barrels cut in half and also maybe adding another variety or two if it works out good

Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
Thejiro
Recipes 

Update:

Its been a few since I added organic fertilizer and more soil to my planter. The bines are loving it. I am having insane side arm growth from all of them.

I do have a question regarding the side arms should I just let them grow wild or try to train them??

Quick Reply