Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > first years with a rash (pictures)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #21
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post
Just curious...sorry for being a little OT.

Additional nutrients may not be necessary but is it harmful? I typically only fert 2-3 times a year so is adding the extra P and K (when all it really needs is the N) a problem if the plant doesn't necessarily need it?
When I took Agriculture in University, they explained the fertilizer situation farily simple. Immagine a wine barrel, with the staves all different heights. Each stave represents one fertilizer (N, P, K, S, etc). Now fill it up with water, and the N is the shortest stave. The water is showing what the plant needs, and N being the shorteset stave, when the water gets to the to of the N, that is all that it will take up. The other taller staves are there, but the are not being used, the N is the limiting factor in the situation.

It would not be a problem to have the extra fertilizers in the ground, as long as they do not get too out of balance, as some of the fertilizers can turn to salts and cause problems, but most garden stuff is nitrogen loaded, and if that is what you are going for, there will only be a little of the other stuff left over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 AM   #22
Hopfarmer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Boy it looks a lot like powdery mildew. Hopefully it is just a nutrient deficiency

Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #23
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

well i ended up going with a 1:1 alcohol:water mixture for simplicty. i have sprayed this on 3 times now and the webs keep appearing. I have pruned quite a few leaves and even the hops themselves are turning brown on the tips. im probably just going to find a insecticidal soap to put on them and wipe them out before theyve completely destroyed my plants.

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #24
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well the spider mites are finally gone. that was just plain awful. I ended up removing all side shoots and leaves within 12 inches of the ground. As i was doing this little spider mites were running everywhere. It seems this is where they were staying. One of my cascade plants looks almost bare i had to remove so many leaves. All the hops look great that are on the plants, except one. It has brown edges on the hops themselves. Ill try to get a picture up, but is this normal?

CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 07-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #25
ctheis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The spider mites will get in the cones and cause them to go brown. You may want to break a few open to see if you have any in the cones. I have a pretty bad infestation of them now and since I have cones I am not going to use any insecticide but a 6% soultion of H2O2 and heavily spray the cones and the leaves every other day till harvest. Ill also be making another 6% solution to "dip" the hops in before I dry them to make sure there are no residual mites.

The insecticidal soap I used earlier in the season..while somewhat effective...is pricy...and unless you constantly spray the plants with them isnt the greatest of methods. The recent rains have done more to help than anything and I have also took a hose and held every leaf (200 plants) and sprayed off the webs and mites. This was very effective as well...but only for a short time. Given the dmg they can do and have done I may be looking at stuff like Zeal next year to preventatively spray for them before I have burrs.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #26
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i read some info on zeal and it looks pretty awesome. I cant find any information on pricing though, which makes me think it is quite expensive. ill that mixing up some hydrogen peroxide and will check the cones as well

CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #27
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

old thread, but the season is just around the corner and i was wondering if anyone has tried zeal? i tried to find some to buy, and the least i could find was 12oz at $270! the suggest application rate is 2-3 oz per acre. I dont need near this much since i just have 4 plants. anyone know a place to get a very small amount of this? maybe some of you guys with a larger operation might sell a small amount?

CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 02-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #28
ctheis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
old thread, but the season is just around the corner and i was wondering if anyone has tried zeal? i tried to find some to buy, and the least i could find was 12oz at $270! the suggest application rate is 2-3 oz per acre. I dont need near this much since i just have 4 plants. anyone know a place to get a very small amount of this? maybe some of you guys with a larger operation might sell a small amount?
I was told not to use Zeal by NC state ag people as it does not kill the mite eggs. They instead tell me to use Acrimite.

Quick Reply