New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > first years with a rash (pictures)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4544 Times on 4452 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post
Yeah, I think you're right on the 1 scoop = 1 Tbsp. I guess just follow the directions on the box. Some people like to go a little under the recommended amount which I dont exactly understand. Hops are more fert hogs than a 'mater plant is gonna be so why go less than that?
Hops are nitrogen hogs for roughly a 2 month period only. Potassium is taken up in mild amounts and phosphorous is almost irrelevant. While you may have a deficiency in one nutrient type, broadcasting additional nutrients is not necessary.

If it turns out to be potassium (you can ask around in the region or e-mail someone in an extension program of the nearest Ag University to see if your area has been known to have this issue)... you can apply potash (basic hardwood ash from your fireplace or fire pit) once or twice a year in modest amounts. Best to do it before a modest rain or water it into the soil. You can burn plants with it if over-applied, so you need to be careful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Ichthy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's not nutrient deficiency. You can see dead spots on the leaf where the insects have eaten it. They look like red spider mites but it could be a fungus. Prune the leaves and dispose of them (burn them) away from hops. If you aren't opposed to pesticides, I believe Sevin will take care of them, but check the label of course.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
knightbeer39
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I wouldn't use pesticides unless you are going to wash the hops before brewing-which will probably reduce the lupulin. There are organic solutions if its spider mites. Try 1/2 cup wheat flour, 1 tablespoon buttermilk and 2 quarts water. Put it in a spray bottle and hose those suckers down. It will suffocate the spider mites and you can hose off the paste later once they are history.

If its aphids, plant some basil and/or marigolds near them; aphids hate them. You can always go to the local nursery and buy some lady bugs. They feast on the suckers.

Last edited by knightbeer39; 06-30-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4524 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 52

My guess is spder mites or Aphid damages.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #15
ctheis
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just a note on the Sevin - according to this article - Sevin has the potential to flare Spider Mites.

Article Quote below:

Quote:
As effective as carbaryl is for Japanese beetle, this material has the potential to flare spider mites, which can be an important and difficult to manage pest of hops. If Japanese beetles are present, scout carefully for mites before choosing which material to treat with. We have been monitoring spider mites at 2 western NC hops farms and have found very low populations to date. The populations at Lake Wheeler are higher, and Rob plans to follow up with a mite treatment this week.
Cheers

Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #16
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i checked my leaves and found little tiny spider webs and small little green spiders under them. im guessing these are the spider mites. I actually sprayed eight on my plants a few weeks ago, so that could be what has aggravated the situation. Ive read several remedies, including 1:1 alcohol:water mixture. Has anyone tried this? I worry the alcohol would be harmful to the plant. I may try the flour, buttermilk, water mixture , but i will be out of town for 4 days and will not be able to spray it off. id rather get something on them tomorrow before i leave. If anything i guess i can get a miticide. has anyone tried anything with success?

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 07-01-2010, 03:53 AM   #17
ctheis
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are several insecticidal soaps for spider mites ...however you need to spray often (follow directions on label) and remove heavily infected leaves. Took me about a week and a half to get rid of mine.

Cheers

Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
knightbeer39
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
i checked my leaves and found little tiny spider webs and small little green spiders under them. im guessing these are the spider mites. I actually sprayed eight on my plants a few weeks ago, so that could be what has aggravated the situation. Ive read several remedies, including 1:1 alcohol:water mixture. Has anyone tried this? I worry the alcohol would be harmful to the plant. I may try the flour, buttermilk, water mixture , but i will be out of town for 4 days and will not be able to spray it off. id rather get something on them tomorrow before i leave. If anything i guess i can get a miticide. has anyone tried anything with success?
You can leave the mixture I recommended on there for awhile if you are going out of town, it won't hurt the plants at all. I just posted the spraying off option so you knew that you could remove it later if it bothers you. As the other posters mentioned, I would remove the most infected leaves too. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Hops are nitrogen hogs for roughly a 2 month period only. Potassium is taken up in mild amounts and phosphorous is almost irrelevant. While you may have a deficiency in one nutrient type, broadcasting additional nutrients is not necessary.
Just curious...sorry for being a little OT.

Additional nutrients may not be necessary but is it harmful? I typically only fert 2-3 times a year so is adding the extra P and K (when all it really needs is the N) a problem if the plant doesn't necessarily need it?

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 07-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #20
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can attest to this. I used Sevin on Japanese beetles a couple of years ago. Worked great on the beetles, but it resulted in a spider mite outbreak. Beetles might cause some damage, but spider mites will plain destroy a plant. Wound up getting the spider mites under control by simply spraying the plants with the hose twice a day. I now seem to have a pretty good population of ladyugs/asian beetles and (I think) "spider mite destroyers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctheis View Post
Just a note on the Sevin - according to this article - Sevin has the potential to flare Spider Mites.

Article Quote below:

Cheers

Quick Reply