The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > First year for hops, ready to harvest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
allynlyon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default First year for hops, ready to harvest?

Can anyone tell if these are ready to harvest by the picture. I'm new to hop growing and i'm still trying to get a feel for things.

photo-19-.jpg   photo-19-copy.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 972 Times on 795 Posts

I'd say it's too early for those. I would wait at least until the petal tips curl outwards kind of like a dried pine cone...

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1526 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 2603

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynlyon View Post
Can anyone tell if these are ready to harvest by the picture. I'm new to hop growing and i'm still trying to get a feel for things.
Great first post! Interested in the same information. That being said from what i know they should also start to feel
"papery". I have not picked any of mine yet but soon.

“Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you’re allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It’s like killing yourself, and then you’re reborn. I guess I’ve lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.”

~ Charles Bukowski,

Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
allynlyon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
I'd say it's too early for those. I would wait at least until the petal tips curl outwards kind of like a dried pine cone...

Cheers!
Thanks! There is so much conflicting information out there that I wasn't sure what I was doing by the time I finished reading.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I am no expert by any means, being my first year growing as well... But besides feeling papery like tissue paper, they should "spring" back to shape when you squeeze them and not stay compressed at all.

That's what I found when googling, also look through youtube for some hop harvesting videos, I found that helpful.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
allynlyon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican521 View Post
I am no expert by any means, being my first year growing as well... But besides feeling papery like tissue paper, they should "spring" back to shape when you squeeze them and not stay compressed at all.

That's what I found when googling, also look through youtube for some hop harvesting videos, I found that helpful.
I had seen that information as well. It's just tough to tell by feel. My zeus has felt "papery" since early on. While my cascade has not. I'm know the different kinds can have different looks and feels so i'm just trying to decide whats what. Thanks for the tips though. I'll try youtube.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynlyon View Post
I had seen that information as well. It's just tough to tell by feel. My zeus has felt "papery" since early on. While my cascade has not. I'm know the different kinds can have different looks and feels so i'm just trying to decide whats what. Thanks for the tips though. I'll try youtube.
Not all varieties will be the same, for example my Newports were curled out and spikey from the day they flowered. Where as my Columbus and Cascade were tight cones.

The tell tale sign is browning, once they are more or less done the tips of the flower will start browning and you may see some slight brown dots on the hops.

At that point pick em.

Quick Reply