First year hops- no aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, I started a few hop plants this year. I have a cascade, a centennial, and a nugget. I've got a bunch of hops on my cascade and they look like they're close to being ready to harvest so I picked one to see and it was papery (still nicely green) and when I broke it open it had some yellow powder inside.

The only problem was there was zero aroma of any kind. Is that normal?

Give 'em time. They should have tons of yellow when they're ready to harvest, with reeking aroma.

3rd year is when they really produce 1-2 you may get a few oz.

Yes, give them time. Mine was like yours 2-3 weeks ago, but now they starting to smell like hops. First year also.
Let them ripe before you harvest.

Give your hops some more time. The lupulin inside shouldn't just be yellow, but a deep golden yellow in color when you are picking. When they are ready to go you will definitely notice the typical hops aroma when you rub a cone between your hands.

I noticed that my hops seem to develop some better flavors as they age after harvest. I experimented with freezing, basement storage and aging and found that the hops that were aged and stored in a cool basement were by far more aromatic than those used fresh or those stored in the freezer. Once dried, I plan on storing mine in mason jars this year that I will periodically open for the first few weeks, but I won't use any until 2 months go by. Go huskies!

Back