Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > First Year Hop Growers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #31
davebstock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Those are some good things to think about. I am going to research what has been grown in Nebraska and what I would personally want. I'll try a few plants from 4 varieties or so this spring qhile I research and go from there.

Thanks!

1 Timothy 5:23

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #32
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 428

I was looking around our property this weekend while we were enjoying the nearly 70 degree weather, and noted some promising growth around the base my Cascade hops. This is their 2nd year and I was pleased to get about an ounce of cones last year. I planted four rhizomes and three sprouted last year - I'm hoping to see an increase in growth and yield this year and so far it looks very promising.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #33
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 104

For those of you've had success your first year with planters or pots, which one of the following would you recommend? Ideally I'd prefer the ground, but it's not an option here in NYC... so, I'm limited to a small space, facing South West-ish in a planter.

These were all available at the Lowes nearby:

Unknown size (smaller than 20 gallon):

30 gallon container:

20 gallon "all purpose" basket:

My other option is one of those larger red plastic planters at a local hardware store, but not sure what size they have, they weren't labeled and seemed rather expensive for what they were.

As for trellis system: Do you think using a cross with twine, and two screw-eyes on each end more stable than say, one of those cross-hatched trellis fence things?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #34
+HopSpunge+
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

I would pick bucket #2 the largest. Filled with potting soil. With a cheap pole of any kind stuck in the middle. With holes drilled in the bottom.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #35
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by +HopSpunge+ View Post
I would pick bucket #2 the largest. Filled with potting soil. With a cheap pole of any kind stuck in the middle. With holes drilled in the bottom.
Thanks! Do you think that type of tub would be too flimsy though? I can't imagine how much weight the potting soil and water will add.

Edit: Also - would 2 plants (same type) per pot work, or would that be extreme overcrowding for the roots?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #36
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

In general, the bigger the better but as you pointed out it needs to be able to hold the weight of the soil and you need to be able to move it. I haven't had good experience with large tubs like #2 because they break down in the sun as well as the roots push through and tear it apart.

I have gone with #3, successfully for a few years. Eventually, they always need to be re-potted.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #37
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan View Post
In general, the bigger the better but as you pointed out it needs to be able to hold the weight of the soil and you need to be able to move it. I haven't had good experience with large tubs like #2 because they break down in the sun as well as the roots push through and tear it apart.

I have gone with #3, successfully for a few years. Eventually, they always need to be re-potted.
That makes sense as well, it was my main concern with the quality of the larger container. This isn't (hopefully) a permanent place, but something that may last 2 seasons, and then require movement elsewhere, re-potting, etc.

In either container, would planting 2 rhizomes be too much? I've seen a few contradicting sources, some say throw 2 into one spot, some say space them apart by a few inches. This is all the same variety of course, I was planning on two types, 2 per planter.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #38
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Most commercial growers stick a few rhizomes in each hole to make sure they'll have enough vines to train from each hill in case there's a dud or two in the bunch. Two rhizomes per pot are gonna fill up the volume of soil a little quicker than just one. At the beginning of your third season you're probably gonna want to remove them and cut them back anyway. This will help you control the underground mass somewhat without really setting them back. Either way you'll most likely have success.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #39
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Like B-hoppy said, the 2 per hill rule is insurance against a dud. The one thing I wanted to add is make certain they are the same variety. It seems obvious but I can't count the number of times someone has put a cascade and nugget in the same pot and then sends me pictures of leaves asking which is which. You'll never know.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #40
BigGoat
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

So, where do you guys get your hops rhizomes from. Looking to plant some this spring and I want to get off to a good start.

Quick Reply