First year hop care

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfp03001

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops. All I have is one Kent Goldings, which I am currently growing organically not sure if I will keep that up or not. I have two bines (no idea why they are not called vines) one is about 9 feet tall and the other is about 5.5 feet tall. They look very healthy for the most part a few leaves have a little brown spots and two got a little eaten by something. See below.

27979_773708754381_9023842_44898829_5427311_n.jpg

I have two questions, first should I do any pruning to them? I know I have read about taking the leaves and stuff off the bottom of the bine. Second question is once they reach the top of the strings I was going to try to get them to grow up my drain pipe. See below. Will this work? Can they grip it? Will a metal pipe be too hop for the plant?

27979_773708719451_9023842_44898825_8066403_n.jpg

It will be a pita to even attempt to get it to grow up the ds, not to mention removing it.

I think that if they can get around the DS they will be ok, but it's against the wall. If they do get around it, it's going to be fun to get it off again. Last year I ended up just cutting the twine instead of trying to save it. That stuff grips pretty good.

Had not thought about that with the ds being against the wall. I didn't really think they are going to grow so much the first year, and I am planning on not living here next year so they were going to get moved before they got really tall I though.

Back