New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > First timer training question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Brocster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default First timer training question...

Hi all!

I planted two Cascade hop rhizomes a few weeks ago and they are sprouting nicely. Looks like it is time to train them, and I was wondering what is the best approach from a "number of vines" standpoint. Do you take the strongest two sprouts and wrap around the same trellis/twine strand? Or, do you take the strongest two vines and wrap around two different twines strands?

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

It can be done either way, one string or two. Also, let as many grow as pop up this year. You won't get any or very little harvest this year anyway, and the extra greenage will fuel the plant's development. I think that the most shoots I've ever gotten from a new rhizome was five this year on a Golding. I'm letting them all grow, but will cull all but the best three next year and will have all three growing up one wire.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply