Wow, ended up forgetting about this thread after I got my job back in July. Since then, Reno has frozen over several times and plans on doing it again next week. The bines were starting to die so I cut them back to about 2 inches above the soil and have been giving them a good soak once every few weeks.
I actually ended up getting some cones but they didn't last long.
However we did get a ton of rain last week and it warmed up slightly the last few days, and when I went outside yesterday I noticed one of the rhizomes is sending out two new shoots. I'll let them go as long as they want to, maybe it will help establish more roots.