Originally Posted by steloco
So basically my set up is going to be 100 plants.
I am going to be having four rows, each 70 feet long.
My 100 crowns are coming next friday from Great Lakes Hops and I am still in the process of getting everything ready. My trellis is about 18 feet tall and right now I am at the point where I am trying to decide what type of wire/cable/rope to use to string across the poles for each row. For this Im leaning towards stainless steel braided cable. But I am having a harder decision trying to decide on what to use for the hops plants to grow up on. I know most people use hemp but I was looking more towards standard types of ropes because its cheaper and I need 2,000 to 4,000 feet depending on if I do two ropes per plant or one. Each piece of rope will be going to metal wire above. Any input is needed, Im looking for as many tips as possible since I have never even grown a single hop plant in my life and am going big right away. Please feel free to through in what ever opinons you may have. THANKS!
Good luck to you in this large endeavor. I have 47 plants and it is quite a lot of work. Sounds like you have a good plan going. I was only going to do a few plants but then it got out of control. Here are some pics of 20 cascade, 10 columbus, and 10 chinook. I potted up 10 centennial for this year.
What are you using for posts? I used 20' 4x4's sunk 3' into the soil so my top cable is 17'. Each post is 15' oc and each plant 3' apart. I had to keep it as least expensive as possible.
I used plastic coated 3/16 cable for the top wire and a 10 or 12" turnbuckle on one end to keep taught. I also used 14 ga. galv. wire for guy wires with a 6" turnbuckle for each. First I snug up the top wire with the turnbuckle, then I can really tighten it using the turnbuckles on the guy wires. It is very solid.
For vertical ropes, I used 1/4" sisal twine and can get two years out of it. An issue I had last year was once the plants put some weight on the verticals got slack in them as the top wire sagged a little. I would then retie the sisal at the top to take out the slack. It's a slight PIA but not a big deal.
Good luck with this and post pics of your progress.