Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Figured I would ask and share these pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
TAPPOOL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Figured I would ask and share these pics

Being a long time brewer from the mid 90's and then a 13 year lay off (stupid move on my part) until last October and now being a first time hop grower this year, I figured I would show you how I decided to kill two birds with one stone. Trellis/ hop hammock...

My question is this....The cones are really getting nice on my cascade hops. This is the only one that is going full tilt in the first year. The rest are getting their roots down, so to speak. Do these cones look close to being ready?

FYI...Nothing like laying there with a brew and a cigar and listening to my hops grow...Oh yea, I am drinking a nice cherry wheat as I write this...

Also, the pic of the trellis is about early July. The pic of the hops was taken today.

trellis.jpg   hops.jpg  
Old 07-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 1048 Posts

I like it!

The hops still look young. If it wasn't dark I'd shoot my Cascades, the biggest cones are almost three inches in length.

Regardless of size, you want to maximize the lupulin payload before harvesting, so pry open a cone somewhere around the middle and look under a petal near the strig. If you're not seeing a lot of yellow, you can let them grow awhile longer...

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
TAPPOOL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info....As you can see in the background, I have a greenhouse but growing hops is all new to me. Never to old to learn though. Thanks again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply