LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
benzy4010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Feeding plants

How often should I miracle gro and also how much water should I be giving my plants and how often?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Shakybones
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Your question is very vague. Please supply more specifics.

What varieties? Where are they planted (soil or pots)? If in pots, how big? If in soil, what type and has it been amended in any way? What is the formulation of fertilizer (N-P-K)? How old (and large) are the plants? Are the plants healthy and green or are they showing any signs of nutrient deficiencies?

If the plants are planted in the ground, I would recommend taking a soil sample and submitting it to your local Cooperative Extension office (or other appropriate agency) for testing. They can make excellent recommendations specific to your situation.

In general, my rule for watering is to water to saturation, then don't water again until the soil is dry - just before the plants begin to wilt. Avoid overwatering (which does not mean adding too much water in one watering - it means watering too frequently), as it leads to root rot diseases and generally stresses plants.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #3
DerrangedPOJO
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

first of all knowing the type of plant is most crucial!!

+1 on shakybones response!!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

There's not really a cookie cutter answer for this. Too many variables depending on your soil conditions, weather, etc. I use Fish Emulsion as a fertilizer a 5-1-1 & 0-10-10 and feed about every 3 weeks as the directions say. I've been watering everyday but I think that has been too much. I'm going to switch to 1 or maybe 2 waterings per week. Depends on what the weather does. Triple digit heat is expected for the next week at least. I would suggest you start with a liberal watering twice a week and see how things react. Much like brewing you'll have to tweak it here and there to find what works best for your situation.

Kegged:DIPA,Pumpkin Stout,,Munich Helles, Chinook/Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA

Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:Mosaic IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck:APA,RIS,AB Clone

Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Ive just been feeding my plants 24-8-16 Miracle grow once a week, 1/2 Tsp(half dose) in 1 gallon of water.

So far they have been doing really well, it brought a few of mine back from the brink that had not grown in over 3 weeks.

Ive also heard good stories about things like Super Bloom which is super high in phosphorus, which is what hops and other flowering plants want during flowering since they are more or less done needing high nitrogen to grow.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have two cascades on pots which are 12 feet, two fuggle one is about ten foot also in a pot, a centennial at about 15 foot in a pot a chinook also in large pot about 12 feet tall very bushy also. I used potting mix by home depot some sand manure and mushroom compost all in equal parts. I water almost every day but usually just a gallon probably less. I have 5 cascade rhizomes on the way and a Columbus crown also on its way. They will be planted in the ground. I have not used fertilizer but all are forming cones. This is my first attempt at growing

Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
DerrangedPOJO
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I use a 10-10-10 mixture that seems to really do them good. U want to keep the nitrogen at a lower or equal value to the rest of the nutrients. Hops do not like a lot of nitrogen . Also a little goes a long ways.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrangedPOJO View Post
I use a 10-10-10 mixture that seems to really do them good. U want to keep the nitrogen at a lower or equal value to the rest of the nutrients. Hops do not like a lot of nitrogen . Also a little goes a long ways.
Hmm? Where did you get this info? I haven't read a ton on it, but I seem to remember hops liking a fair amount of nitrogen?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Where do you find fish emulsion

Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Shakybones
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Fish emulsion kinda stinks and is slow to release its nutrients. It's okay for long-term building of soil fertility, but for container plants in storebought potting mix, I'd recommend sticking with soluble fertilizer like Miracle-Gro or Peter's.

For vegetative growth, I'd constant feed (meaning use this rate at every watering) a balanced fertilizer (20-20-20, etc.) at ~200 ppm nitrogen (so dilute it to that range, then add to plants). An easy way to do this is by mixing a stock 16x solution and using a relatively inexpensive Siphonex or HoseOn 16:1 injector that attaches to the hose at the faucet.

For flowering, I'd switch to a 10-30-20 or 10-52-20 (or some similar formulation) at the same concentration.

That's just my recommendation. YMMV.

When you water, do so until the soil is saturated and water drains from the bottom of the pot. This will help leech excess salts from the pot. Then, don't water again until the soil is almost dry - stick your finger in a couple of inches and feel it. In time, you'll learn to tell when to water without feeling it every time.

If your plants appear to have nutrient deficiencies, you should probably check your soil pH. Different elements are more or less available, depending on the soil pH. Potting mix tends to run on the acidic side, and fertilizers can increase that acidity over time.

Quick Reply