The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > experienced hops growers....when did you change your water schedule???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
fred_zepp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default experienced hops growers....when did you change your water schedule???

i read some older threads a while back where a few members stated they only watered every 2-3 weeks, instead of every day like a lot of us do. for those that use a watering schedule that spans weeks, when do you begin this? is it only for mature (second or third year) plants, or suitable for plants when they reach a certain height, or what? also, what is your climate like during the summer...and how much, if any, do you compensate for very hot weather (100+)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I poke my finger in the soil. if its dry I water.

fist year plants have no root system yet so they need water more often.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
svengoat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

mother nature has been watering mine every day

Old 06-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I am not an experienced grower but my impression is that growing these puppies is not all that tough once they get started, if the location is good. They seem like to like a lot of sun and good drainage. Nature has done all my watering - but living in Pennsylvania this year means that we have not had a dry week since about March.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
thantos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Fred Zep,

Where are you at I am in the east bay area and also wondering about 100+ deg heat and what to do. We just had our first 100+ day and am not sure if I should water more or what?

"I love the Devil, Cause the Devil is Rock n Roll ! ! !"

Old 06-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

its been a 100+ all week here and mine just keep on going..water in morning or late eve. you dont want to water in the heat of the day.

my first year get a little drink every day. my big girls,2nd year get less watering but when I water them I give them a deep slow soak.few times a week.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
squeekysheep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it's not that hot here and i have high humidity. i have been watering my new hops everyday, but just a little at a time. they seem to be doing well

Battle Axe brewing

Old 06-28-2009, 03:12 AM   #8
fred_zepp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos View Post
Fred Zep,

Where are you at I am in the east bay area and also wondering about 100+ deg heat and what to do. We just had our first 100+ day and am not sure if I should water more or what?
I'm in winters...that's 30 miles west of Sacramento... right next door to Davis.

It has only been hot this last week... other than a week long warm spell in May. Today it was about 105F.

I've been watering once a day, or every other day. I've been doing 1 gph drippers on each plant for 1-2 hrs per day, either once in the morning, or once in the evening.

I planted at two different times this year, so I've got some plants that are 7-8 foot tall, then some that are 1-3 feet tall. Both seem happy with the current schedule.

The little guys are definitely gonna keep getting more regular water, but I have also noticed that they have some red junk on the mounds...looks like fungus, so I'm gonna let em dry out a little bit. The big guys must have a semi-developed root structure, so I'm guessing that they would benefit from deeper watering on a less regular schedule.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live in SW Idaho. High desert climate - hot days (+100 at the hottest), cool nights (typically 60-70) - typically very little rain in the summer.

I have seven trellises in a pasture that get flood irrigated once a week.

I also have 5 plants on my dad's deck. The yard next to these plants gets water three times a week and the hops get some water there. I also have a soaker hose around these plants to geve them additional water when needed.

I watch the leaves for wilting. All these plants get more water when wilting starts to occur. Watering deeply and less often will encourage deeper root growth and more drought tolerant plants. I only water the new plants this year twice a week during March and April - then I put them on the same schedule with the mature plants.

Kegged - Where's Waldo Amber Ale
Dry peppering - Jalapeno Wheat
On the fruit - Currant Wheat and Huckleberry Wheat

Primary - FUBAR Weizenbock and Accidental Dunkelweizen

Hops - Centennial, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Cascade, Willamette, Magnum, Chinook

Old 06-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

i water mine every other day or so in the mornings. If the soil drys out then i water or if the leaves begin to wilt...so far its worked very well. Will be building a no water earthbox soon so i wont have to worry about it

Quick Reply