Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > End of growing season

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
1stTimer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default End of growing season

I live on the Eastern Shore of MD and right now the average highs have been mid 70's to low 80's with mid 50's to mid 60's at night. At what point/temperature will hops stop growing?

Secondary: Black RyePA, Sour
Currently in Bottles: Zaporter part deux, Black Betty Oaked Bourbon Porter
Currently in Kegs: Donkey Milk Stout, Galaxy IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

They will continue to grow until either their roots get too crowded, or the first frost hits.

My growing season is pretty much over. Last year, we had a long enough summer (into october it seemed) so that I could harvest twice.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The hops will die-back when they are ready. Mine stopped growing about a month ago, except for the cones. Most of them are withering as I type.

Once the bines are dead, cut them off at the ground and either compost or trash them.

Another thing you could do now is bury part of the bines about 2-3" down, without cutting them. They will form rhizomes in the Spring.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4687 Times on 4343 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
The hops will die-back when they are ready. Mine stopped growing about a month ago, except for the cones. Most of them are withering as I type.

Once the bines are dead, cut them off at the ground and either compost or trash them.

Another thing you could do now is bury part of the bines about 2-3" down, without cutting them. They will form rhizomes in the Spring.
Is there any reason why one chouldn't root prune in fall prior to preparing the beds for winter?

I usually layer some compost over the beds after the bines have died back. This year, I'd like to root prune and aerate the soil (cultivate) around the crown before I layer the compost.

Is there any reason why I should wait till spring for this?

I have read just about everything I can find and it seems that most do this in spring only because they harvest the rhisome for sale.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
1stTimer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Appreciate the feedback everyone. We still have a few weeks of 80's I would imagine. After this freakin coastal storm gets out of here. So hopefully between that and the fish emulsion I put on yesterday I will get one more harvest.

Secondary: Black RyePA, Sour
Currently in Bottles: Zaporter part deux, Black Betty Oaked Bourbon Porter
Currently in Kegs: Donkey Milk Stout, Galaxy IPA

Old 09-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

yes,you can do it in the fall. I always break out the tiller and run through the garden in fall, Till it up,put compost and straw on it,then till it in. then in the spring I do it all one more time.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1153 Times on 875 Posts
Likes Given: 622

I have an end of the growing season question (not to hijack): I just had access to someones hops; they let me pick about 18 oz (wet). So I assume when its all dried I will have like 5 oz or so. This lady jus ripped a bunch of the bines off her fence and handed them to me. Can I bury these bines right now in the fall and have a chance that they will sprout in the spring? Or would this be a waste of my time because they would just rot out? I sure hate to waste an opportunity these hops, although unidentified, they smell tasty!

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 09-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBrew View Post
I have an end of the growing season question (not to hijack): I just had access to someones hops; they let me pick about 18 oz (wet). So I assume when its all dried I will have like 5 oz or so. This lady jus ripped a bunch of the bines off her fence and handed them to me. Can I bury these bines right now in the fall and have a chance that they will sprout in the spring? Or would this be a waste of my time because they would just rot out? I sure hate to waste an opportunity these hops, although unidentified, they smell tasty!
I have in the past made the mistake of putting green bines, cut down for harvest, in the compost heap. Only to find that they rooted themselves through the remaining fall, winter, and spring. So, they "can" do it but there is no guarantee that they "will". IIRC, the realistic ratio is 50% of "cuttings" taken will likely root.

However, if she's friendly, you'd do better to help her root prune next spring. Or, if she's trying to erradicate the hop vines, help her remove the crown.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
yes,you can do it in the fall. I always break out the tiller and run through the garden in fall, Till it up,put compost and straw on it,then till it in. then in the spring I do it all one more time.
Interesting. Do you cut the roots back first or, just let the tiller do that work for you?

Old 09-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1153 Times on 875 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I have in the past made the mistake of putting green bines, cut down for harvest, in the compost heap. Only to find that they rooted themselves through the remaining fall, winter, and spring. So, they "can" do it but there is no guarantee that they "will". IIRC, the realistic ratio is 50% of "cuttings" taken will likely root.

However, if she's friendly, you'd do better to help her root prune next spring. Or, if she's trying to erradicate the hop vines, help her remove the crown.
Well I guess thats worth the effort then...50% chance. I mean I have like 50 feet of bine. Maybe I can cut it into smaller pieces and plant them various locations...

She was not trying to get rid of the plant, she was just buzzed. What she uses them for is a barrier between her house and the golf course. Also, she cuts a bunch of whole vines and sends them to her friends and South Dakota (I sh!t you not, this what she said) and her friend uses them to make christmas wreaths with. Which I may try some year; its actaully a decent idea...

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Quick Reply