Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Early growth from 2nd Year Hop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
jmich24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Early growth from 2nd Year Hop

Last year I cut my bines back to ground level, some even poking up an inch of two. All of the emerging grow thus far is coming off of these bine and not from the "crown" below.
Is this okay or should I cut them back deeper in the ground?
At the end of this season should I cut the bines off deeper?

Thanks

Kegged: Galaxy IPA, Belgian Dubbel and Cherry Funk (Flanders Red + 10 lbs cherries)

Primary: Ned Flanders Red, RR Consecration on 2nd Gen Roeselare, Soured BDSA, Brett B ESB, Brett Trios Oatmeal Stout runnings.

Next: Oro de Calabaza Clone, Backwoods Bastard Clone, House IPA, House APA, German Hefe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Usually, those buds have formed by the time you cut the vines down in the Fall but many folks don't look close enough to actually see them. They lay dormant until this time and are the first to 'pop' and can give very irregular growth. For various reasons it can be beneficial to remove those early shoots and let the ones located lower on the crown be the ones that climb and make hops for you. The lower buds will continue to emerge over the course of the next couple weeks and some older crowns may continue to throw new shoots for a couple months. How you decide to manage the situation is up to you.

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply